2 pickup controls?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Volume / Volume

23 vote(s)
  2. Volume / Blend

40 vote(s)
  3. Rotary switch

8 vote(s)
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
  1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    When it comes to a 2 pickup bass, which do you prefer?
    Volume / Volume
    Volume / Blend
    Rotary switch
  2. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Volume Volume since I have full control over each pickup.

But I do like rotary switches for playing live, just because of the simplicity of having set positions.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I voted vol/vol, but a lot of actives are blends, and I don't mind them. I might change my active jazz deluxe to volume/volume.
  4. vol/vol for sure. i just don't get what i want from a blend or rotary switch
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    6 of one, half dozen of the other...

You can achieve the same results with either vol/vol or vol/blend. I wouldn't really want a switch as that would be limiting.
  6. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

i like vol/vol but vol blend means you can smoothly turn up and down your volume or do swells without ruining your blend.
  7. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That is a good point, being able to adjust your over all volume and still keep the same pickup mix.
  8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Being that I changed the congfiguration on my Jazz from vol-vol-tone to vol-treble/bass stack-mid push/pull-blend, I can say that I am much happier having only one volume knob. It is a much more precise configuration.
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Main volume & blend..
  10. thats why i like Vol/Blend

i figured out that vol/vol really is the same as Vol/blend, as the vol/vol can achieve the same ratios of bridge/neck pickup as a blend control can.
  11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Set the volume once. Adjust your tone to suit the song, all night long if you have to.
  12. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Volume / blend is running away with it!
    Where are all the traditional jazz bass guys?
  13. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    tradition only exists to be overcome...

14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm a blend guy for sure. I really want to switch my Jazz to V-B-T. I like having a master volume so I can do cool swells and stuff like that.
  15. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    i like the vol vol, simply because it works better in my head (makes more sense to me)

perhaps also because my dream knob configuration is neckvol-necktreb-neckmid-neckbass-bridgevol-bridgetreb-bridgemid-bridgebass. dont see how that would work with a blend knob. :D
  16. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    My spector is vol-vol, but its such a pain. once one pickup is turned down just like 10% of a full turn, you already can't hear that pickup. blend achieves just as good of a job, and I miss the ability to be able to do swells without having to turn 2 knobs.
  17. steve21

steve21 Banned

My new Ibanez is Vol/Blend, I love it. I'm going to be putting a Vol/Blend on my jazz when I upgrade the pups in the summer.
  18. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    vol/vol cause I'm not pending the extra to get vol/blend on my new bass. I'll deal with it even though I think I might like vol/blend better.
  19. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I like volume/blend. But an added switch would be convient for on-the-fly kinda stuff. Like a quick tone change to the neck pickup for tapping, etc.

But I cannot stand volume/volume configurations.

20. I used to think that the volume blend was the way to go, but since I have been using the volume/volume circuit on my Celinder (the first volume/volume I've owned since my Ric in the 70's!) I can't believe how much more control you have over the blending of the pickups. Every volume/blend I've ever used (Sadowsky, Fodera/Pope, MTD, etc.) reaches its full range at the very, very start of the 'off center' setting... in other words, they act much more like a pickup selector switch.

The volume/volume of the Celinder is evenly and infinitely blendable. I have no idea if this is particular to the Celinder, or the difference between volume/blend and volume/volumes in general.

I do miss the 'master volume' type thing.. but that's a small price to pay to be able to actually blend the pickups through the entire ranges of the pots.