1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gotbass1228, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hey. I just got my new Hartke LH1000. It came with a Hartke Bass Attack VXL Tone-Shaper Pre Amp. I run my Sansamp RBI into my Hartke LH1000. Now, is this pedal thing another preamp? Or can I make it work at a pedal to go between two tones?

2. I'm not familiar with the Hartke, but seeing it's called "Hartke Bass Attack VXL Tone-Shaper Pre Amp" I'll assume it can also be used to get a high enough level to be used as a preamp.

I don't see why you couldn't use it as an effects pedal, just keep an eye on the levels.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You can do just about anything you want with that setup. I would suggest running your bass straight into the Hartke Head instead of the RBI first. The RBI in my opinion is a tube emulator and you have a tube loaded pre-amp on the Hartke Head. The RBI is also kills the midrange in some way - try your setup without this unit and see if your tone improves. The Hartke Attack pedal is a pre-amp and a product intended to do something similar to the RBI. Most likely not the mdirange scoop, but I know it adds distortion to your tone

What was the original use with the RBI?

4. I've never run the VXL as a stand alone preamp but it might put out enough juice...

it works fine as a pedal, but the shape button causes too much of a level change IMO to be used as a stompbox. The tube emulation does a fairly nice job and can add some overdrive if you push it. It's much like the sansamp BDDI really... ie. it's easy to over use this pedal and end up with a synthetic sounding tone or if you use it sparingly it can really enhance to your tone quite nicely

JRA_BaSsNiNjA likes this.
  5. I had initially used the RBI to add a nice crunch to my sound. It sounds amazing with my Jazz basses. Im not running an Ibanez SR506 and it doesnt sound as good. I dont know. I am interested in the Hartke Pedal.