Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by haujobb, Apr 27, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    1. Things are starting to get serious with my girlfriend, well actually they've been serious for a while, and I may be leaving home to go to college. We've discussed the idea of moving in together and we both think that at some point before this year is done it is something we will seriously look into.

My question is this, under Canadian law, after you have lived with your partner for a certain period of time it is considered a common law marriage. So, if we reach the point and the worst should happen, what do I need to do to protect my gear?

It's honestly not something I'm too worried about but I think it is something every man should be aware of in todays world.

And this will most likely sound dumb but: :(

2. I was just looking around today and noticed the "IBTL" thread, what is IBTL and how do I make sure that I don't do it?

2. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    ibtl: in before the lock. people post that in a stupid thread that will be locked, to boost thier post count and waste space. as for the other more important question i have no answer. good luck with your girl.

3. Get a legal contract? That'd be my guess. Your best bet is to consult with a lawyer.

4. In Canada, if you're living with your partner for two years you are married by common law. That's all the info I can give. I only remember this from Gr. 11 law.

5. You can claim common law after six months of living together if you so choose. If you don't claim common law then you are not common law, you are just roommates. I've lived with a girl for 3 years and we were legally just roommates, until we recently got engaged that is.

6. Yep. Legal comtract or sign over your gear to a parent or something that way it's not yours. I'd still check with a lawyer though as that may not be legal either.

7. And I can't spell for $h!*

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow, only 2 years legally and you're common law? I don't know about all states, but the ones I've heard of in the U.S. that have CL, the time limit is 7 years.

+1 on getting some sort of legal contract. I think even if it's something you type up and both of you sign, it should be good. It might not have been passed through a lawyer, but it's still a contract.

Of course you may be able to feel out your g/f to know if she'd even pull that crap with you if you two broke up. If my fiance and I broke up I know she could care less to have my gear :)

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    You mentioned "college". May I ask how old are you?

ANDRUCA

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If you're already worried about the chick snagging your gear, run away now....fast.

Either that, or you're just smarter than 99.9% of the rest of us when it comes to that. Don't make me bring up my fish tank again.

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm only 17 atm, turning 18 soon so I'll be leaving the home soon for college.

Actually, I'm not worried at all, in fact I see us going very very far, if not all the way, in our relationship. But my worries are based on cases like yours, more specifically ones related to musical intruments. Hell she can keep the TV, I just want to make sure that should the worse happen my basses are safe.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well just be careful, especially with moving in with someone so young. You're only 18, and especially where you're going into college, things can change quickly.

Best of luck with it.

13. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    in Canada, its 6 months.

Draw up a co-habitation agreement. There are templates for doing this on the net...they are very easy to do. Kindof like a pre-nup for common law relationships. Protects both of you, and you can stop worrying about it afterwards.

Seriously man, put it in writing. Very very nice people can get very very nasty in the case of a breakup.

I'm sure it seems like it could be forever, but...

Here is the litmus test. If you told her you wanted to go a different direction in life, do you think she is capable of breaking up without taking/destroying your stuff? No? Now imagine that she came home early from work and caught you in bed with her sister. Still think she isn't capable?

Get a co-hab agreement.

14. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    That was my point exactly, there is no guarantee that we are going to last together. I think that with how society views men and women in these situations that us men should be taking steps to protect ourselves.

15. Oh so true.

And I'm glad I'm not the one who has to tell your gf that you want to sign something like this. If I understand women (not a man in the world does) then she'll be pi$$ed!!!!! :bag:

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Wow! I wasn't ready to do such a thing (live with a girlfriend) until 28 (2 years ago). On the other hand I encourage people to leave parents' home ASATC (I bought my flat and did so at 24 -lived in Argentina back then-). Due to the inasely high cost of a house here un Europe, people live with their parents until 35 or maybe 40, simply because they can't afford their own house! Then they contract a mortgage for 30 YEARS to pay for some pretty average (ir even crappy) flat in Madrid! Insane!

ANDRUCA

17. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I told her last night that if we got to that point that I would want something in writing. She agreeds but you could tell that she felt a lil bit insulted, well maybe a lil bit wasn't the word. I ended up telling her that it wasn't her I didn't trust at all but society in general, she agreed with that and seemed okay afterwards.