Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$200 limit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by retitled, May 27, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i need a new combo amp.. i have a $200 limit. i dont have too many demands for it but i play ALL kinds of music.. everything from Queen to slayer.

the bass i have is ver versitile so it sounds good through alot of amps but i need to upgrade cuz my current amp is a 20 watt practice amp and it just wont do on stage..

so for $200 i need to produce a pretty wide veriety of sounds and ill need at least 50 watts.

any suggestions?

oh and thats $200 not including what ever tax and S&H it might have.. so jsut a base price of $200

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you play with a PA? If not then $200 simply will not do, even for medium size gigs. However, you may be able to find a used Peavey TNT for about $200 I think and if you have a PA then you could use that on stage.

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Maybe look for a used Fender BXR or Peavey combo.
    New, you could probably come close to a Fender Rumble 100.

4. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    no PA just gear and amps.. my band is getting pretty serias and we are going to start playing gigs soon but we need some loud amps.. our practice amps just wont do.. hmm maybe i can go as high as $300

hehe.. right now i have an ibanez sw 20.. thats 20 as in 20 watts.. lol

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's tough...you probably won't get anything new of any quality for that. You can look at used- I've seen people sell 2x10 and 1x15 Avatar cabs for around $150, but that's just the cab. Maybe you can find a small used head as well, although shipping will be pretty pricey for shipping a cab.

Shipping on a cab is what's going to kill you. I'm going to try to sell my old Carvin 160w combo amp at my yard sale tomorrow for $200. I'm going the yard sale route because shipping it would probably cost another $50, and most people who need a cheap amp won't want to pay that much for shipping.

6. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    only if i had the money now.. lol

ill be getting like $200 in about a week or so, the other $50 is going to be a while or else youd have a sail..

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wait a bit longer, borrow a friend's amp while you save more money or something. My rig cost $1100 new and honestly, it's barely enough. If you go used you can probably get a nice setup for $400-500.

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i might just have to do that..

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The least amount I'd feel safe spending on a rig to play without a PA is about $750.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry dude, but $200 isn't going to get you a suitable gigging amp. I don't even know what $300 will get you that will work. To play gigs without going through the PA, you need about 600 watts or more. I am so sorry.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I thought I remembered you raising you limit from 300w to 600w :D

You must be playing some pretty darn big sockhops if you think need at least 600w.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It'll probably sell at the yardsale tomorrow with my Essex...I probably wouldn't want to sell it to someonw without them playing through it first anyways.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Don't bother. Save your money, $200 won't get your anything remotely useful, even in the used market. If you double that you will actually have some decent options, getting it up to $500 will easily get you an amp that would be worth the wait.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sound advice so far.

it is always a shocker to bass players when they discover that an amp suitable for playing medium to higher volume gigs costs more than their bass.

click here for more info .........

:meh:

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yeah, $200 ain't nothing. My $600 Nemesis NC200 barely cuts it in the places I've played. Save up maybe $500-600 and you can get an Avatar 410 with one of their amp head deals.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Good brands to save money with...if you go the used approach, you can get an Avatar 2x10 and a Hartke head that'll push 300w for about $300-$325 plus shipping. The cab will be able to take more than 300w as well, so you wouldn't need to get a new one if you decide to upgrade in the future.

EDIT: I did sell my Carvin combo today- extra funny money :hyper:

17. Go with a used Peavey TNT or Fender BXR like the other guys said.It will get you by till you can afford somthing better and you will probably be able to keep up with the drummers volume and hear yourself.I know it's tough when you're srarting out.

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Be patient, and look around on the used gear websites and in the classifieds.

I've been looking around for some used gear and just happened to come up on a good deal on a Peavey head and an Eden cab at the same time.