1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

200 watts Loud Enough for a small PA system ???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Since I am the bandleader of my band, and therefore alot of the responsibility falls on me, I am wanting to get a backup PA amp... just in case my PA amp dies at a gig.

I was thinking that maybe I could just use my gkmb200 amp as a temp backup. Its rated at 200w (seems accurately rated).

I have a 8 channel mixer I could just plug into my amp.

The PA is small. Just two Yorkville passive 112s and three powered monitors.

This PA is just for vocals... and possibly kick drum from time to time. My band is not overly loud... average rock band volume. All 4 of us sing.

2. Aside from saying that using bass head isn't a great idea, the other thing would be the amount of cabs you mentioned. If all 5 cabs are 8 ohms each, you would be going beyond the heads capabilities, which is 4 ohms.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The two passive yorkvilles are 8 ohms, combined making a 4 ohm load. The three powered monitors are fed signal from a line out on the mixer.

Agreed that the bass amp is not ideal for vocals, but this would just be a backup emergency fix.

4. If it's an emergency fix that you're never likely to use, then I say go for it. It would be far from ideal, but it would get you through the gig. No point in wasting money on backup gear that's never going to see action IMO.

5. You don't say what style of music and what instruments you play. Are you facing the the monitors at the audience? Having a a small PA is a good way to get the band to turn down to a sensible volume.

6. The amp itself isn't as critical as ohms and speaker efficiency

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    We are a rock band playing 50s and 60s hits. We all sing and need the powered monitors faced towards ourselves so we can hear our vocals.

Another question... I assume since all 4 of us sing that will put a bigger power drain on the amp?

8. Why not use the passive mains as your monitors and point the actives out

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Because the actives are tiny 110s. The 112s sound great.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest you test the "backup" at a rehearsal and see (hear) how it goes. :hyper:

IMO, it will be good enough and you won't have to spend any cash. If it's not good enough, ask the band to kick in for a used stereo PA amp. Even some of the new ones are not that expensive.

Also, does anyone else in the group have an "backup" amp available too? If so, you can use one for each side of the stage possible to get more head room.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Good suggestions! Unfortunately all my band members are broke and the one guy who could afford it, is a bit grumpy.

But I will try it out at rehearsal and see how it goes. Of course the rehearsal room is alot smaller so that will have an effect, but at least I can see how it does tonally.