Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2000RB is DYING!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amorosomolto, Dec 24, 2003.

1. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Well Friends, my damn GK 2000RB is clipping constantly now. Before the power amp was giong into protect mode for a while, now the pre-amp is clipping by itself even with the instrument NOT plugged in. I think that I am going to have to retire that damn amp, which is a shame because it can be a real nice amp when it wants to. Should I put the Friggin thing on ebay or try to sell it? I know this one guy STILL has not sold his on ebay. He puts it on every month or so.

What should I do?

I have an Acme B4 8ohm. Should I just go with the power amp and preamp setup?

Im thinking of a Stewart 1.6, having read how the 1.2 heats up.

As far as preamps, I dont know where to begin. I like the Eden Navigator & SWR IOD. Im going to be on a tight budget so, What do you all think of the SansAmp RBI?

My budget is around 1,200.00 $$

2. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I would recommend that you first have the amp looked at by a GK service center. I had my 700RB fixed for 35.00
    The dreaded GK solder problem... It might be minor.

If you insist on a Pre/power amp setup. Get a QSC PLX amp and the RBI or find a used Alembic FX-1. Nice light setup and powerful with great tone.

3. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Well, I have heard horror stories of people sending in their GK only to have it left there for 3 months and the bill coming out to like 300 bucks.
    You are right though. It could be minor. I would hate to give up that amp.

4. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    From what I've read, it seems that the problems with GK amps are mostly easy and inexpensive to fix. Personally, the GK sound has really grown on me, so I would try and salvage the amp if possible. Also, fixing the GK would probably be a lot cheaper than buying a new amp. $1200 vrs $300 or less.

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Dan Elliott is their artist relations guy and a frequent contributor to this forum. I think GK knows there were problems with the 2000. Something about warping PC boards, if my memory serves me. Anyway, check to see if they can do something with you since they know they put a product out there that isn't holding up too well.

6. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Thanks for the Info.

So, should I contact this guy? I'll check the GK site and see if I can fond his name.

I really dont want to loose this amp, but then I dont want to beat a Dead Horse. It was my first amp.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    OK, sounds like my turn up to bat.

I'm the guy who had a 2000RB take a crap after only a few months new, sent it to GK, had to pull teeth to get it back from them. Turns out the 2000RB had a badly designed power supply, that's why it was discontinued. Even after getting mine back from GK repaired, I still had problems, so I unloaded it. Personally, I'd advise you to do the same.

I've since been using an Eden Navigator pre (around $500 used on Ebay) and a QSC 3002 power amp (around $650 used on Ebay) and I haven't been happier.

Shame about that 2000RB, it sounded nice when it worked. It was my third GK product, and I thought I'd be a lifetime customer. The way GK service handled my monthly requests for status was enough to turn me off from the company forever. If they just would have been up front with me, I would have understood, but they fed me a different story every time - I really felt disrespected and lied to.

No offense to Mr. Elliott, whom I think is a real asset to this forum. I'd recommend you PM him directly, I'm sure he'll take care of you . . .

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wait until Dan Elliot gets a hold of you. He'll help you out. There is supposed to be some sort of upgrade that will make it like new. GK is not worth giving up. Best bass amps period.

~Patrick

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Word......

10. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
  11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    So where can I pick up my free 2001RB?

~Patrick

12. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Little Update:

Well, I decided to use the 2000RB in practice yesterday and drove the hell out of it.
    NO PROBLEMS!

So what the hell is going on here? What is the deal with this amp? My cables are in perfect condition, The bass is working very well. I actually tried to clip the thing and it would'nt! The Amp works well, then it doesnt.

I just dont understand.......

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe the jack...I've got a tempermental imput jack that I need to get replaced but can't until I get a backup for some time. I simply just wrap my cable around the lights on my power conditioner to assure that it won't move.

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You should still take it into a local shop, service center or something to have them pry it open. Could be a soldering problem.

~Patrick

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I told you, the 2000RB series had a series design flaw in the power section. GK now readily admits this. If you are having ANY intermittent problems at all, you need to send it in and have them swap out the necessary components.

16. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Ok then,
    Can I do this within my state or do I have to send it to California?

Thank You All!

17. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    2000RB is DYING!!

I've heard that phrase more then a few times before.

18. Get it fixed. There have been some solder problems on those but once they are fixed they sound really nice. I have done an RB2000 and a 700RB both for less then $100 each for the repair.

GK did my 2000 before they moved. I haven't had a repair need since the relocation.

19. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    armorso, check your pm thingy for Dan's magic code. Merry XPmas to you!