Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2006 Bookings Decline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Uncletoad, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Is it just me or does everyone else notice a sharp decrease in bookings this year? I looked at my calendar which is usually pretty full already in the year and saw a ton of empty holes. I started freaking out. I'm thinking that either I suck more than I thought or perhaps clubs and parties and weddings are on the decline.

I don't need to play to pay the mortgage anymore as my repair gig is doing well. Still its enough of a portion of my nut to pay attention to.

I guess I'm just looking for a reality check.

It's been awhile since I've had to hump for playing jobs. Guess I should get on the phone.

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I play in an ethnic (Greek music) band and I've noticed the same thing over the last 1-2 years.

I can't say about jazz, but for some styles of music DJ's are killing live music performances.

Just my opinion of course.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Not here, I'm booked up. I used to see a dip in January-February almost every year. I'm sure it'll bounce back for you.

4. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I've noticed that it comes in sperts. Last month my date book was almost completely filled, while almost don't have anything yet for Feb. Maybe it has something to do with Global Warming, or the Bush Administration; I tend to lean towards blaming Bush, but thats just me... heh :D

5. Especially now, in the days of mp3's. It is easy for anyone with a DJ program and about 5000 songs on their laptop to get into the DJ business. Bands (at least in my area) about 20 years ago priced themselves right out of the market, were too loud, or wouldn't play requests. With a DJ you can have greater control over what is played, and what the overall volume is for the event. And there are no breaks...

6. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I dunno,
    I can see why someone would want to book a DJ instead of a band, however, I think both would be the ideal situation; if you've got the bread.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad you jumped back in the pool, missed ya for a month or so.

Usually I drop in Jan/Feb and I suppose things might perk up later. I'm just used to seeing my book filled out earlier in the year. I'm beginning to think I need to do a bit more self marketing again. I've been on my duff in that regard for several years as a couple leaders I regularly work for have always had more than I could handle. Now all of a sudden there is less.

Weird.

I just don't want to do leader work again, I don't have time to do the calls and the footwork. Uggh.

Then again I've been wanting more Latin gigs and the unamped trio thing has been lurking about in my head....

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The bluegrass business is pretty active for us. We had 40+ 2006 gigs booked before the New Year, but the vast majority of our booking will come within the same quarter as the gig.

9. Well I can only say that Jan-Feb are always the slowest months for myself. March is like Xmas. I s'pose it would be playing in an Irish/Nfld trad band. I find myself counting down the days until Paddy's Day every year.

10. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    things have definately got quieter round here, as a result of a stupid new law whereby venues need an expensive license for live music. It didn't used to apply to duos, but now does, as of November, and a lot of regular jazz gigs have stopped in my area.