200MB Rattle.. Buzz. Relentless!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ryugreen, May 8, 2012.

1. Ryugreen

Ryugreen

Apr 22, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Hey all,

I bought a Gallien Krueger 200MB off ebay about two weeks ago. When it arrived the speaker surround was completely rotted away. It sounded awful. I got most of my money back from the seller but decided to keep the amp.

Initially, I intended to buy a replacement surround kit but decided to just get a new speaker since I didn't know the condition of the old and bought one direct from GK.

It arrived today. I replaced and used the foam tape to reseal the cabinet and was excited to plug her up and check it out.

Very disappointingly, it would seem almost the same rattle is still present. I have added some length to the strut so it seems to be making good contact with the rear of the speaker and the case. I have heard this can be a problem with replacement speakers.

I took my time sealing it up and doubled checked all the screws were tightened. There were a select few that may be a tad stripped out, but I can't imagine a single screw could cause this intense vibration.

I am trying to get help in determining where the problem lies because: When I take either of the side panels off and "break the seal", i can play the amp without any rattling at all. Sounds pretty good actually. HOwever, as soon as I put the side back on, the rattle and buzz returns without fail. So, I can't hardly test any of the interior component for looseness as the vibration always stops when I remove the side plate.

Does anyone have any experience with these amps? Any ideas on how to locate the cause of this vibration? I am beyond frustration and have put a lot of money into this lil' bastard so far. Hoping to get something out of it!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

2. Ryugreen

Ryugreen

Apr 22, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Bump..... Any help guys?

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Silicone caulk. A had a old MB150 that did the same thing and I pulled it apart and caulked the poop out of it. Problem solved.

4. Ryugreen

Ryugreen

Apr 22, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the caulking method.

Here's hoping it works!

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Is your cab complaining about being overdriven, or too much bass boost in the EQ, or is it a rattle that's present even at low volume?

6. Ryugreen

Ryugreen

Apr 22, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    It's not being overdriven... this will happen with about half master and the bass eq about middle.

I'm fairly certain its some form of air leak but it's maddening trying to pinpoint it. Try to get my ear close to it but its quite difficult to determine for sure where it's coming from... or whether perhaps its just someting rattling on the inside.

7. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    You haven't mentioned whether you're using any kind of preamp, but it may be that you'd benefit from a high-pass filter to cut the lowest end (generally below ~35 Hz). For a start, see what happens if you back the bass control right off and add it in incrementally.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021