Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AuG, Mar 10, 2006.

1. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    So I'm headed out to the bars tonight with some friends...at midnight I turn the long awaited 21. :hyper: I'll probably be gone for the next few days, recovering and sobering up. Anybody have any fun/hilarious/potentially dangerous stories about excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages on their 21st B-Day to share with the crew on TB here?

I'll get back to you guys on Monday. :smug:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Do not drink on an empty stomach.

Be moderate in your drinking. There are plenty of stories about people who only lived to be 21 because of binge drinking.

Make sure your designated driver knows he's the designated driver.

Have fun.
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I think that America should take a lesson on the dangers of this type of behaviour. Sure I did the same thing when I was 21, I am not downing you. But our laws on when alcohol consumtion is acceptable, also make it dangerous. If alcohol were not such a mystery, maybe turning 21 wouldn't be such a big deal. We have the highest rates of alcoholism in the world. And I think this is part of it. Countries in Europe that give very small amounts of alcohol to children and young adults actually have a lower incedence of chronic alocholism. They are desensitized and do not look forward to the day they can finally have a drink. Go fourth, be sensible, be careful and god bless.

Happy birthday
  4. Ah, I remember my 21st. Which tells you I didn't drink that badly that night.:D

Moderate your drinking. If you down shot after shot after shot, you'll end up face down somewhere you don't want to be.

Eat something between drinks. It helps slow the alcohol absorbtion into the system.

Make sure you have a designated driver or a VERY close motel room. I do NOT want to hear about your drunken escapades in your car. We will all kill you for that.

Find a good bar. Something with atmosphere, where the patrons are friendly. With Guiness on tap.:D

Have fun. Take pictures. Don't go to biker bars. Or gay bars. Or gay biker bars.:eek:

Rock on
  5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Good luck AuG. Be safe, and don't overdo it. An old girlfriend and I took out her cousin (tough guy) for his 21st, and he drank way too much, puked all over a bunch of Santa Cruz sidewalks, and made a fool of himself.

Man, I've been full of anecdotes lately...ah screw it! Drink up!
  6. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Just my $0.02, but I suggest drinking water after every couple/few alcoholic beverages. I can count the number of times I've been hungover on one hand (i mean badly hungover) and it has a lot to do with drinking water. That way you can have fun drinking but you won't wake up feeling like you've just been hit by a truck. And definately eat like the others said. I made the mistake of attacking my 21st on a fairly empty stomach and I was not pleased about it later... nor was my stomach. Have fun and Happy Birthday!!!

7. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Have fun!

On my 21st my dad and my uncle took me to every topless bar in northern Seattle and vicinity (there used to be a lot). When we got home turned out someone had stolen my unca's Vdub from in front of our house. The cops radioed in the plates and it was located about ten blocks away. For some reason the police wouldn't believe it was stolen.

I went into the neighborhood bar a couple of days later. I was looking out the front window when it hit me I was finally on the inside looking out.

I forgot the first bars I was legally in was when I was playig in Idaho and Montana at 18. The drinking age for those two states was lower then. In Washington the legal age was always 21. boo hiss

Edit: Bananas really help with hangovers. So do Bloody Marys but then your off again! heehee
  8. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    All very good advice guys, thanks. :) Don't worry, I'm not driving anywhere either. Save your killing for baby seals or something.

Hahaha there's this place in Chicago that my friends want to take me to, it's called The Exit, imagine the first few scenes of Blade (the first movie) but without the blood. :rolleyes: Apparently it's a club upstairs, and a regular biker bar downstairs.

Yeah I'll probably leave that place in about 15 minutes. I just want to find a nice quiet Irish bar with Guinness and Harp on tap, so I can get my supply of Black and Tans all night long.

I have to agree with you here. I've talked with some European guys that stay at my hotel and they're always amazed at the quantity of booze they see some Americans pound back at the local bars. :rollno:

Ahhhhh stuck at work with 2 more hours to go......:help:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I turned 21 during my senior year of college. It was a Sunday, and I didn't drink a single drop.

The huge party at my house the Friday two days before was a different story....

The week after, my cousin took me to Atlantic City, where they bring you drinks for free just for sitting at the slots.

Now that I'm 27 and a family man, I don't even like to think about getting drunk.
  10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Well than I guess that's your problem you tea todlen bi*ch.
    J.K. Good for you, I applaud your attention to what is relavant!
  11. Turned 19 on Wednesday. Legal drinking age here, I'm still in high school so I skipped second period and we went to my favourite bar and celebrated, I went back to school pretty drunk, then that night I went to work (a local bar) and got lots of free drinks, then went to a show at another bar I frequent. Electronica dance bands that dedicate Kelly Clarkson covers to you are pretty sweet.
  12. I was well, well acquainted with alcohol by the time I turned 21 (not that long ago), so I didn't really overdo it. My friends threw me a pretty cool party, though.

Have fun!
  13. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    spent my 21st in new york at the ROADHOUSE watching john cafferty and the beaver brown band. i had fun.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dont have the misfortune of Drinking alone.
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just remember that you cannot possibly drink all the alcohol in your town.

Also, come Monday, I suggest that you see that you really don't have to drink to enjoy the company of your friends.
  16. Though for some of them it helps.:D

Rock on
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hope you have/had a good time! Find a place that has Murphy's on tap. I'm almost starting to like it better than Guinness, and it makes for a tasty Black 'n Tan or Half and Half. :cool:
  18. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I remeber my 18th.................. (Drinking age is 18 here)

Well by the end of the night I was not a happy camper.........Do not mix alcohol if you can help it.

Otherwise, don't feel you have to go all out just because it is your 21st
  19. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Well, I'm still alive. :meh:

Barely. :bawl:

I hurt. :rollno:
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Drink lots of water!