Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2ohm cabinets???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Washishimi, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Hi all

Just wondering if any manufacturer makes a 2ohm bass cabinet (without really ordering custom or 2 seperate cabinets) in any configuration.

Thanks!!!

2. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    None that I can recall, but some 8-ohm cabs that have more than one speaker can be rewired to be 2 ohms.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think you'd have to re-wire.. Can I just ask, why?

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    More power would be the only thing I could see but I would add another cab to bring it down to 2Ohm so you are pumping more air to go with the extra power

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The old Acoustic 408 cabinet with 4x15 is a 2 ohm cabinet.

I'm sure that Dave at Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com) could do a 2 ohm 4x10. If Delta 12LFs are available in 4 ohms he could do a 2 ohm B212 too..

I've heard that Andy Lewis at Acme will do a 2 ohm B4.

In each of those cases you have to order direct anyway, so it's probably no big deal to order a 2 ohm cabinet.

However, if your amp doesn't put out at least twice as much power at 2 ohms as it does at 4, you might as well get 4 ohm cabinets.

Don't know how much resale value a 2 ohm cabinet would have...

7. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, it's basically for more power. I currently use 2 - 4ohm cabs. I was just trying to cut down on the amount of cabinets to lug around. Thanks for the info guys!

8. I believe Ampeg's 2x15'' cabs are 2-Ohm.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I tried looking at Yamaha.com...the specs are pretty scarce and I couldn't find a manual on-line.

What is that amp's power rating at 4 ohms? If it's more than 250 watts, then you wouldn't notice a volume difference between two identical cabinets, one 4 ohm, one 2 ohm, played one at a time.

Is the amp loud enough with one of your 2x10s? Reducing cone area, you get double whammied though...less power and less speaker so the volume difference might be noticable...but maybe less than you'd think.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    From Ampeg.com for the SVT-215:

Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms

Besides, Washishimi wants to lighten the load from two 2x10s...I think a 2x15 is going the opposite direction...

11. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I own a 2x15" 3 ohm cab, I kid you not!

12. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, the amp is 250w @ 4ohms, and 500w @ 2ohms.

For the 4ohm set up I tried an ampeg, and then I tried an eden. I got way more volume out of the 2 yamaha 2x10's than I did with 1 4ohm 4x10, so I figured I would look for a 2ohm 4x10 or some other similar configuration.

I do like the sound of 12's, but never really got into 15's. I am also thinking that it might be easier to lug around 2 light 2x10's than it would to lug around 1 heft 4x10. Ahhhhh decisions, decisions!

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to me, the deal is that 2 ohm cabs have the potential to be dangerous cabs. sure, you may know that your amp does ok into a 2 ohm load, but plug another amp into it, and pow! it may get fried, or simply shut down to prevent damage. this could happen to another person who uses your cab, or to you when your main amp dies and you have to use an amp that is only 4 ohms stable. :meh:

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    True. Less Flexability, by far. Unless you friggon rewire the thing before you plug into a 4ohm head..... oy chijuajua would that suck.... especially on a time limit. :rollno:

15. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    OK....I guess I have a related question then. All of this talk about 2ohms being dangerous....are you reffering to me looking for a single 2ohm cabinet? Or is 2ohms just dangerous period? I have been running my 2 2x10 4ohms cabs for a while and haven't run into any issues (yet). Should I be concearned and try to stay away from 2ohms all together?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think that he's saying that a 2 ohm cabinet is potentially dangerous to amplifiers, not humans.

If someone connects the 2 ohm cabinet to a solid state amp that is designed for a 4 ohm minimum load and turns it up, there's a good chance that "magic smoke" will leak out of the amp.

Solid state amps don't like being loaded with too low of an impedance, they tend to overheat and shutdown (most positive scenario) or die (worst case scenario).

If you had a 2 ohm, 4x10, you could include a 2 ohm/8 ohm switch in the wiring scheme...no way to get 4 ohms.

How much louder is your amp with just both Yamaha 4 ohm, 2x10s running compared to just one of them? Is just one, loud enough?

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, if your amp says that it handles 2ohm loads, then its fine. Amps tend to run a little harder with a lower impedance, but if it says it can do it... then its fine.

18. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Thanks for all of your help guys.

Yeah, there is quite a difference when I add the 2nd 2x10 to the mix. It is adding 2 more speakers and another 250watts, so I can see why. I love the sound of that set up, so I guess I should just shut up and emjoy it!!

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, shush and enjoy it - :p
    but to be clear, 2 ohms isnt dangerous to an amp as long as it is rated for it. in that case, using two 4 ohm cabs, or four 8 ohm cabs would give you a 2 ohm load which is fine. I'm just not in favor of 2 ohm cabs as they an ONLY be used with 2 ohm capable heads.

20. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah! A sucess story for once! These are becoming rare :p