1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x10 / 2x12 Single Cabinet Idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by h2blink, Mar 16, 2009.

1. h2blink

h2blink

Feb 10, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not sure if there is one on the market, but Im thinking of building a single cabinet with (2) 12" drivers and (2) 10" drivers. I will chamber the 12's separate from the 10's.

I have experience building cabs, and would rather build it than buy a new one.

Looking to run it at 4 ohms. Anyone have a cab like this?

Also, sealed or ported?

I use an Ampeg B2re for now with a jazz bass. I will be gigging in venues with PA's

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You should split the frequency going to the different sized speakers. After doing that, you probably won't need both 10s from midrange duties. You could also use a smaller speaker to handle that duty, giving you room towards another 12, or reducing the box size needed for just the 2 12s. If you are gigging in venues with PAs, you don't really need a box that big anyhow, beyond building something for looks, or liking high stage volumes if you are playing in arenas. It is fun to build though.
    Wes

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is so little difference in the response of tens and twelves that there's no point in using both. For that matter even mixing fifteens and tens is of dubious value. Anything less than a 2:1 driver size mix isn't the best idea.
    And if you have to even ask 'sealed or ported', sorry, you don't have the engineering knowledge required to design your own cab. Check the FAQs on DIY cabs, look at the fEarful thread.

4. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    there is a manufacturer over here in germany, who makes a 2/10+2/12/two chamber cab: SIEBEN AUDIO DESIGN.

[​IMG]

the two 10s sit in a sealed chamber, the 12s in a ported chamber. both the 10s and the 12s are running full range, complemented by a fostex horn tweeter.

5. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19

Mar 5, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I drew up a design that had 2 10s and 2 12s, but they weren't chambered. I also haven't done anything with said design.

Depending on what drivers you used, wouldn't they be close enough in frequency response to justify NOT splitting the frequencies?

I say go for it!

6. h2blink

h2blink

Feb 10, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    i appreciate your response, but i think you may have misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking sealed or ported for my particular design, i have built both before. I was just asking if anyone has or has made a cab like this and whether theirs was sealed or ported. I'm just trying to see if its been done before and how the designer approached it.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It may seem OK to the layman, but doing so is tantamount to using two summer tires and two winter tires on your car so that you're 'ready for anything'. :eyebrow:
    IMO a cab that does so was either designed by someone with no knowledge of how speakers work, or by someone who knows enough not to but doesn't care so long as buyers who don't know how speakers work want to buy them.

Answered above.
    The fEarful thread shows how a simple to construct cab should be engineered, with a vented woofer, sealed midrange and crossover.