Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 finger techniques =D ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ok, i wanted to know what order you guys use for playing with 3 fingers? do you do, 1213 3121? well, any other tips would be helpful too!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I rarely do 3 fingers but when i do its 321 321 321 or 123 123 123

3. i do a good bit but i dont use any special patern

though 321 is good for a fast gallop-ish rythym

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I would think it would be beneficial to be able to do this many ways, wouldn't you? Try to pick up a string skipping technique, such as "Right on time-RHCP", or just about any disco bassline, great exercises for learning a good 3 finger techniqe......or you could go the Steve Harris route.

You IM'ed me and asked me this, then put your away message on right away so I couldn't answer, after I already typed it out, so you're getting the short version now.

5. and let us not forget the other three finger technique: thumb and first two fingers. i use this one much more frequently than using my first three fingers. the thumb comes in really handy in chording and such. i picked it up by watching classical guitarists and banjo players, and i love it. i also believe JT uses this technique pretty frequently

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is what I do, but it isn't so much about speed as it is the gallop.

7. I usually use 321 321 for triplets and 3212 3212 for pretty much everything else. Steve Bailey talks about his technique a little in the lessons section on his web site http://www.stevebaileybass.com/

8. Steve DiGiorgio plays 1232 1232 1232... Which makes sense to me, but seems hard as h3ll.

I play 421 421 421... And yes it sounds like poo, but my ring finger is unuseable (damn snowmobile).