1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3 finger techniques =D ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ok, i wanted to know what order you guys use for playing with 3 fingers? do you do, 1213 3121? well, any other tips would be helpful too!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I rarely do 3 fingers but when i do its 321 321 321 or 123 123 123

3. i do a good bit but i dont use any special patern

though 321 is good for a fast gallop-ish rythym

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I would think it would be beneficial to be able to do this many ways, wouldn't you? Try to pick up a string skipping technique, such as "Right on time-RHCP", or just about any disco bassline, great exercises for learning a good 3 finger techniqe......or you could go the Steve Harris route.

You IM'ed me and asked me this, then put your away message on right away so I couldn't answer, after I already typed it out, so you're getting the short version now.

5. and let us not forget the other three finger technique: thumb and first two fingers. i use this one much more frequently than using my first three fingers. the thumb comes in really handy in chording and such. i picked it up by watching classical guitarists and banjo players, and i love it. i also believe JT uses this technique pretty frequently

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is what I do, but it isn't so much about speed as it is the gallop.

7. I usually use 321 321 for triplets and 3212 3212 for pretty much everything else. Steve Bailey talks about his technique a little in the lessons section on his web site http://www.stevebaileybass.com/

8. Steve DiGiorgio plays 1232 1232 1232... Which makes sense to me, but seems hard as h3ll.

I play 421 421 421... And yes it sounds like poo, but my ring finger is unuseable (damn snowmobile).