1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 magnet per string pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KINGPIN_88, Jan 21, 2017.

1. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014
    Hey guys so I got a custom of of tridents. Been waiting bout 6 month for the babies. 20170120_175443.
    tmp_29171-FB_IMG_1484953731575-2053507051.

2. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Have you had a chance to try these out?

3. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014

Not yet but I will very soon. I'm expecting good things.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Do they offer any explanation on what the extra magnets are supposed to do? I'm not getting what the purpose is, as opposed to just using larger diameter magnets, or using a bar magnet. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

5. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014
    This is from the maker

"It is a 3 magnet per string design with the .250 AlNiCo 5 center and .195 AlNiCo 8 Flanks. This design along with the increased coil height add a Jazz bass flavor to the P giving you the best of both worlds in one pickup. You get the growl and bite of a p with the increased clarity and transient overtones of the Jazz. It is remarkable. It is a direct mount into a standard p bass route but you cannot use covers. It has mount legs on the flatwork

The sting Ray is the first that he has done so I imagine it's the same with the p. The stingray is wired 22k. While the p is 12k