1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

300 watts@8 ohms, simple controls, warm & SS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    This is what I am looking for in an amp head.

-Warm tone with a gain or similar type knob for additional grit.

-Simple 4-5 knob EQ controls, period.

-300 watts rms at 8 ohms, more at 4 ohms.

-Rack mountable, 25 lbs or less.

-$700.00 tops US new.

-I Prefer Made in USA.

I'm an old school bass player and less is more for myself. Any such animal out there, to be had?

2. Ashdown Mag?

Might be lacking some in the made in USA department. Worth a look though.

3. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Larry: It doesn't fit all your criteria, but I'd be looking at a used thunderfunk tfb-420 or 550. They are one of the warmest SS amps (though not gritty), simple controls (the timbre control alone is worth the price of admission), light, made in Vernon Hills, Il. loud for the rating. And great punchy tone. You're welcome to try mine out.

4. Sounds EXACTLY like the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0... tube with gain control and volume control plus master for cleaner versus grittier tone at all volumes, around 350 into 8ohms, 600 into 4ohms, simple EQ, 4 pounds, and right around your maximum price. You wouldn't need to rack mount it, but I assume you could get rack ears... it has a very nice bag available.

If you weren't interested in the tube grit, the Markbass LMII has similar output, and is about $100 less expensive.. clean, warm and loud... about 5 pounds and rack mountable.

5. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
  6. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the reply's. The Shuttle doesn't put out 300 watts at 8 ohms, so no go.

Jeff, do you have a Thunderfunk you are looking to unload?

7. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    +1!!!

8. +1 It's the only amp I can think of that matches all the OP's criteria... except for maybe the rack mount.. not sure if rack mounting is available with that head.

9. genz benz for the win

but if youre on a tighter budget, the hartke HA3500 fits well

10. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The Shuttle puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms. I'm looking for that much juice at 8 ohms.

Thank you guy's.

11. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I'm pretty sure they were talking about the rackmount kit over in the shuttle megathread. One of the GB guys interjected that they haven't sold any yet but it sounds like one can get them if desired.

12. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Actually, that's the 3.0 yer lookin' at. The 6.0 will put the wattage in your cottage that you're desiring (375@8ohms):

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2259&sid=610&cid=95

13. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have 3 versions of essentially the same thing--an AMP bh-420, A Gibson GB-440 (just acquired) and a TFB-420. I'm not looking to sell, but could certainly arrange a tryout! Any of these into my schroeder 1212L give plenty of oomph to compete w/ two guitarists and a loud drummer in the bars we play in.

14. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

Shuttle 6.0 puts out 375 W @ 8 ohm, 600W @ 4 ohm.

I think that you are thinking about the Shuttle 3.0...6.0 is more powerful and has a tube preamp...

EDIT: Sorry, post above came in while I was typing this thing...

15. You're referring to the 3.0. However, the 6.0 delivers 375w @ 8 ohms and 600w @ 4 ohms. :bassist:

Optik and seven beat me!

16. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Can the Shuttle 6.0 be had for $700.00?

17. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
  18. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

I got mine for slightly less than $700.

Worth EVERY dollar...

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    If you want to buy brand new, the Shuttle 6.0 sounds like your head. If Carvin still made the B600, it would be another fine choice.

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Gallien-Krueger Backline 600