1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

34" Scale 5 string advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jhu32, Jan 13, 2017.

1. So I am going to purchase a new bass in around a month and came upon Betts Basses. They're handmade in Pennsylvania and they aren't too expensive. Now I am covering and playing more Metal stuff, would a 34" 5 string have a tight enough B string so it wouldn't sound like crud in the mix? Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Never heard of them. Plenty of 34" scale 5-strings have great B-strings. It depends on the actual bass and execution rather than the scale length.

bholder, G On Bass, JIO and 1 other person like this.
  3. Check them out, never tried one but seems very nice. He built Craig Douglas (from Douglas Basses) his #1 bass, pretty sweet.

4. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Certainly intriguing for the price, that is for sure. Playing with string gauge, and a good setup, tension should be fine. 34" scale Warwick's have good B strings. Passive jazz pickups might not cut it well for metal though, IMO. (If that is the model you are looking at)

5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Actually, forget I said that. Good enough for Geddy, good enough for me! If I had the money and the need, not sure I could pass on that, just out of curiosity. I'm tempted to buy that 4-string jazz!

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I agree with nostatic. Plenty of 34 ' scale basses have good B strings.
    I have 4 of them. Pedulla, Stambaugh & Tobias.

Garret Graves and JIO like this.
  7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    If you like D'Addario strings, you can use their tension charts to get your B string at or near the E, or wherever you like.

bholder likes this.
  8. It'd be a good buy... he's a super guy too, not sure if that matters to some, but it does to me.

9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    +1 - hear hear :thumbsup: especially depends on player execution.

10. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    That 34" basses automatically have bad B strings is exaggerated. Using good strings and a little heavier gauge keeps you from having floppy strings. Most manufacturers have the 95% solution from stock. Don't let the scale length talk you out of a bass until you play it and have the strings you like.

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, my advice: big strings. Just posted some clips of my 34" Sire V7 with the DR DDT .145 B and .125 E in the Sire Club thread. :) Sire Bass Club! Might be the best 34" B I've heard, beats some 35"ers even, imo.