1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$340 Finale

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by RBPCRC, Apr 3, 2019.

1. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    I've been thinking about trying a Finale carbon fiber german bow, the $340 one. I currently have a V. Schaeffer stamped Arcos Brazil pernambuco bow. Do you think the Finale would play and/or sound any better than my wood bow?

2. No.

isolated likes this.
  3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I may have more grip and bounce but the tone will be considerably less warm. It would be a solid back up bow.

4. I wouldn't really recommend a carbon fiber bow if it's going to be your main bass. As damonsmith said, it will probably feel good but the tone won't be as good.

5. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    I thought that because there's not much labor cost going into these bows (correct?) that they might be competitive with nicer wooden bows

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    They are in some respects, they are clean and the "behave" in a much more predictable way, they just lack warmth, even the great ones. I like having them around, just not as a main bow.

7. I use it as my backup bow and for travel, but if I'm doing something that is really loud I'll probably use the Finale. Compared to my pernambuco bow it's lighter, brighter, and a bit more punchy. I still prefer my pernambuco bow though because like Damon said it's much warmer, it also has a larger dynamic range than the Finale, puts out a lot more sound, and fills out the bottom end of an ensemble a lot more than the Finale. For the price, the Finale is a solid a backup bow especially for the price, but it's probably not gonna sound better than a solid pernambuco bow.

8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just for information:

Denis Trembly, the long time principal of the LA Phil, endorses the Finale:
    http://www.stringemporium.com/finale-bass-bows.htm

Last night we were at Disney Hall to watch Esa Pekka Salonen conduct Stravinsky (including a fabulous Rite of Spring). Mrs F and I were sitting behind the bass section and sure enough Dennis was using his Finale bow with his (I guess) 300 year Italian bass. Nobody blinked and the section sounded great.

Just reporting in.

Selim, HateyMcAmp and Sean Riddle like this.
  9. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I'm not a strong arco player but I have two carbon bows (one a finale french grip) and I have what is speculated to be a pernambuco french bow stamped only "GERMANY". After having the wood bow rehaired and properly rosined (that actually took me a while to figure out), the wood bow sounds noticeably better.
    However, the finale is lighter and I don't tire out as quickly when using it.