35" scale length 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stantor, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Stantor

Stantor

May 14, 2019
    Columbia, SC
    I'm fairly new to bass, only been playing for about a year. I initially decided to start with a 4 string simply because that seemed to be the popular recommendation for beginners. A pretty large portion of my favorite bands/bassists use a 5 string and, now that I'm feeling more comfortable, I've decided to try to make the switch to a 5er (budget is around $1200). Now, after endless research and some suggestions from TBers, I'm thinking that I want to get a bass with a 35" scale length. Not only for the tight B but also because I am very tall (6'8") and I think I feel a bit more at home on the longer scale length basses that I have played. Have only managed to get my hands on an Ibanez BTB 745 and a used Lakland 55-02, and both were about 8 months ago so theyre not exactly fresh in my memory. I wish I could find another one near me to try but it seems that I wont be able to try any sort of 35" scale bass without a 4+ hour long drive, roundtrip. So now on to my question: Sire M7 5 or Lakland DJ5? I currently own a Sire P7 4 string that I absolutely love and will certainly be keeping/playing, so I have the Precision box checked already. So I'm looking at getting a bass that does a different "job". The M7 is gorgeous (specifically looking at the natural Swamp ash) and it definitely goes with the style of the bands I'm trying to emulate (Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread Panic, Goose). Almost all of them use a 5+ string Modulus, but thats a bit out of my price range. So I was all set to order the M7 when a particularly good deal popped up. A lakland DJ5 brand new for about $300 less than others of the same make/model on reverb. This bass looks amazing. Funky, classic, beautiful, sounds amazing from the few youtube clips I can find, but its passive, and the preamp is one of the main reasons I love my P7 so much. Looking for some input to help me decide! Definitely taking suggestions as well if theres a model I've missed.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I love the M7, but I've never tried a Lakland. Paging @Dr. Cheese for input on the DJ5...

two fingers likes this.
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    We’re miles apart but I would be happy to let you try my 35” Lull. I’m 5’8” and it’s comfortable to play. It sets ups really well.
    Good luck with your search.

TonyP- and Stantor like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see you are from Columbia. Just go to Atlanta if you can’t check out a Lakland closer to home. I grew up in Sumter, and used to make that drive all of the time. That said, traffic in Atlanta is horrible these days. I had a DJ5 and loved it. I really should have kept it, but that is the story of my life. I am 6”, 34 or 35” is barely perceptible to me. Being tall does not mean you will notice it. Stanley Clarke is 6’4” and plays a 30” Alembic. The late Chris Squire was probably 6’6” and played a 32” Rickenbacker most of his career.

5. Lakland for me, no doubt. Great 5 string bass. Love that 35" scale. Best 5er I've ever played or owned.

6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I have a schecter 5. It’s super light. String spacing may be a little tight for some. Personally I like it.

dalahorse, TonyP- and Charlzm like this.
  7. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Perhaps a CortGB75 JH or JJ is worth considering?

8. Stantor

Stantor

May 14, 2019
    Columbia, SC
    Yea I've thought about doing that but that is easily my least favorite trip to make haha. The traffic is almost always a nightmare. Though that is probably my best bet at playing one in my general area so maybe it's worth it. And good point, that was my initial reaction when I was told to try one in a previous post that mentioned my size. I played the BTB that weekend and remember it feeling great, but that was a long time ago. I have since fixed whatever problem I was having back then with my comfort (it was most certainly something to do with my technique, just not sure exactly what) so its definitely not as big of a deal as it was then. I have played a few more 5 strings since then as well, almost all Fender or Ibanez SR basses and was honestly not very impressed. Mostly just the feel of the B string, which is why I'm looking for the 35" scale length basses. But maybe I just haven't found the right one. My options are very limited around here especially in the over $600 price range. I guess we're right back to that Atlanta trip then.......

9. RoketRdr

RoketRdr

Nov 7, 2019
    Houston
    If you’ve got big hands then the 35’s will most likely be a better fit for you but there are plenty of 34’s with a great B string tone and tension. My Warrior Messenger is a 34 with the B and E through the body and it has a really solid B much like a 35. String choice makes a big difference as well.

Frenchy-Lefty and Stantor like this.
  10. I had a couple of Korean made Dean 5-strings in the late 90's. 35" scale and very nice basses. If you can find a second hand one i'd highly recommend it.

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    At the risk of inducing you to overthink things......consider whether string spacing at the bridge matters to you. The DJ5 is a killer bass with 19mm spacing (like all Lakland 5ers)....I have no clue what the Sire spacing is....I believe the BTB is 19mm as well....many others are quite a bit narrower (most Spector, Ibanez and all Musicman 5ers)...Lulls are 18mm.

12. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Harley Benton B505 is good, Ibanez Soundgear, Schector Stilletto Studio 5 (electronics could be better)

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That Lakland DJ5 is a solid bass.

14. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    With a budget of $1200, you could pick up a Peavey Cirrus (USA made) and still have money left over for some accessories.
    35" scale, 24 fret, 18V 3-band EQ, neck through.
    Peavey Cirrus 5 USA Peavey Cirrus 5 USA | Long Island Bass Gallery
    (For example, no affiliation)

I see them as low as $750 on occasion.

Eneade, mdalamond, slamsinger and 6 others like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree, the wrong string spacing is a deal breaker for many bassist’s.

16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This is absolutely worth considering ^

Those basses have really comfortable necks and (IMO) sound closer to a modulus than a Lakland or a Sire.

AudioTaper likes this.
  17. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I'm partial to Lakland. If you're ok with more spacing (at the nut, at the bridge, the neck width, etc.) vs. less they're great. To me, my Lakland P-5 feels the most like a 4 string P. The difference is scale length (35" vs. 34") is not too noticeable (to me at least).

basspraiser and Larry Alexander like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm 6'3", but have ginormous hands for my size. I don't find scale length to be as anywhere near as much of an issue as neck width - I can't play J width necks on a 4, and on a 5, a 1 7/8ths wide neck is pushing it a bit for me. My guess is you might also prefer wide necks - you fingers don't get cramped from being all bunched up.

19. I would also recommend a US PV Cirrus.
    The string spacing on those is adjustable 16 to 19 MM.
    Great necks.
    Can be set up really low.
    If it turns out not to be what you want, they are always in demand.
    Should resell for what you pay for it.
    Price range is 500ish for badly beat up to maybe 2 K for NOS (when you can find one).
    750 to 1K should get a fine example.

AudioTaper and Reedt2000 like this.
  20. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    If you can find a used Roscoe standard for that price get it and then bask in the absolute glory of the fantastic sound and feel of the best B string on gods’ green earth

bassfreakah and JohnnyR like this.