1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4-ohm head into a 3.19-ohm two-cab setup OK? Or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosshowl, Dec 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mosshowl

mosshowl

Jun 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi, hope someone can help me out.

I've got a Traynor YBA-1a (4ohms) I'd like to run through both a 6x10 (5.3 ohms) and a single 15 (8 ohms). I believe in parallel this comes out to 3.19 ohms.

I know you aren't supposed to run a head into a lesser-ohm cabinet (like an 8 ohm head into a 4 ohm cab), but would this rule apply in this situation, where the difference is not even 1 ohm?

Thanks for any info.

2. It’ll work cos’ it’s a tube amp and tube amps can work into a less than ideal match. That said it’s not good practice and your output tubes will bear the cost.. What are you hoping to add with the 15?

3. And here it comes.

4. mosshowl

mosshowl

Jun 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK, got it. Thanks.

It's not a serious setup I'm wanting to use, I just thought that it'd be fun to see how it sounds. I just got the 1x15 to play out with b/c it's not feasible to run around with the 6x10.

But after posting I was thinking... if I ran them in series, it'd come out to a 6.65 ohm setup. This would be the way to go, wouldn't it?

5. Actually that would be harder on the amp.

I will second Paul's question, what are you hoping to gain by running both cabs?

6. According to the impedance figures you have provided, running them in series would be a 13.3 load.

physics likes this.
  7. If you were to use them together all the time, you could re-wire the 6x10 so that it's impedance is closer to 8.
    Where did you get the 5.3 Ohm figure from, an Ohm meter reading, or is it printed on the cabinet?

8. mosshowl

mosshowl

Jun 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah right -- I was dividing that by two.

Where's that new facepalm emoji when you need it...

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Ask and ye shall receive... :facepalm:

10. mosshowl

mosshowl

Jun 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's on the cabinet (it's wired as 3 series pairs, paralleled). Actually now that I'm checking I see it's 5.4 ohms.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. mosshowl

mosshowl

Jun 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice -- :facepalm:

12. No that would be a 13.3Ω which would be dangerous for the amp. Also the 8Ω 15 would draw the most power.

Zooberwerx likes this.