1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 string or 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cnicholas012, Jan 10, 2012.

1. cnicholas012

cnicholas012

Jan 9, 2012
    :bag: So, I want to trade up to a new bass. But I'm not sure if i should stick with a 4 string, or get a 5 string.
    What would be more beneficial? :ninja:

2. The one you feel most comfortable with. Since we know nothing about you or the music you play it would be difficult to give any advice other than this. It's you decision.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    one of each, FTW! :)

4. 5 string if ur playing funk or death metal

4 strings are usually cheaper and sometimes sound better

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    i started on a 4, but before long I moved to 5 because the church group I was playing with played a lot of songs in c and D that the 5th string came in really handy on. I still use a 5 for church, but play a 4 string with my rock band, just don't need it as much in there, and I like the look and sound of my t40 for that band

I guess it would help us if you told us what kind of groups you play with, and what sound you like, and what your budget is

for the most part, there's no reason NOT to get a 5 string. there's nothing a 4 four string bass can do that you can't do on a 5 string, but the reverse is obviously not true

6. Need a low B? Feel you the songs you play might need that extra low end sometimes? Wanna be able to play high notes and get back to lower ones without moving your left hand (assuming your right-handed)? Then a 5 string could be good for you, if you like how they feel. If you don't... then a 4 string is what you should get.

7. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Depends on what you play. Don't forget that a fiver means extra muting. If you don't need the extra string, don't pay for it. If you like or need to have those extra five semi notes, buy them.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1

When you can't decide: TB rule: You can never own too many basses!

9. cnicholas012

cnicholas012

Jan 9, 2012
    well, I play music from people like, muse, the strokes, blur, and radiohead, like alternative and punk rock basically i guess

10. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Punk? Why buy 5 when you only need one ;)

11. cnicholas012

cnicholas012

Jan 9, 2012
    made me lol