Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+ & El Whappo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zcwilkes, Jan 15, 2005.

1. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    So I'm running into some money soon and I need a rock/ hard rock rig. I've always wanted to get the Accugroove cab but I'm debating on the head. I'll be in a King's X cover band and a 60's and 70's rock band (Hendrix, Cream, Zepp..etc...)
    I guess what I'm asking is will an El Whappo and a Mesa 400+ be able to compete with a triple-rectifier half stack?

I used to have an all SWR setup. Bass 350 and GOL III 2x10 and a 1x15, but wasn't happy with my tone.

My current setup is a 150watt Trace combo and a Trace 1x15 cab.

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I say that setup should do you very very nicely! If you don't like it give it to me :bag:

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm not too familiar with Mesa amps but I found that my Whappo Jr. cab really blossomed when I replaced "popular brand X amp with a reputation for liberal power ratings" with a more honestly rated power amp. With the right amp pushing it, The El Whappo ought to be able to neuter large dogs with the slap of a B string.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The 400+ is a *LOUD* head. They give is like a 500W rating, but IIRC it's more like 400W, but again, all tube. Put a 15, 12 and a 6 under it and I'm sure you'll be plenty loud. ;)

Ray

5. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    My guitar player also has a triple-rectifier half stack. And my drummer has a massive DW set...
    I'm running a GENZ-BENZ GBE-600 (425 watts @ 4ohms)into the El Whappo and have NO problem being heard.
    That being said, I'm putting together a new pre/power setup for more headroom. While 425 watts is enough to drive the El Whappo, if I turn up any more, it starts clipping.
    You may want to find a head with more power to drive the Accugroove safely.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I run my 400+ through my Whappo Jr. and you could probably demolish buildings with it! Whappos love tube amps!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

actually it's only 300 watts RMS at best. But a tube head that size on a modern cabinet should be fine against a tube 1/2 stack so long as you don't try to compete using a real scooped bedroom tone.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Thanks for the info James. I still need to get either that Peavey or that Marshall...400+ actual watts of valve goodness.

Ray

9. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Thx everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to go with that setup. I'm considering a SVT-4 pro too, but I have always liked the 400+ because I've always wanted an all-tube head.

10. Something tells me that I'll be pushing mine with an all-tube amp... probably the Trace V8 but I'll have to decide when El Whappo arrives. I think that Mark was planning to ship it out on Thursday or Friday.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    If you're still open to options for all tube heads, I'd consider looking into the .Marshall VBA400, and the ampeg SVT-CL. There's a few others out there too, just thought I'd give ya other options in case you didn't consider them...

Ray

12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey there,
    Next week I'll be getting my Accugroove Whappo Jr., and I'm gonna try it both with my Aguilar DB359 and my Aguilar AG500. I expect it to be efficient enough for either one. I'll tell you, I've only had the AG500 (500 solid state watts, class D power amp) a week, but I think the DB359 is a about as loud as it (200 tube watts, all tube power amp). I think it should kick some major booty..... :hyper:

Now I just need my new Linc..... :bag:

13. If it were me I would trade the Mesa for an AMPEG SVT CLASSIC...

mmm

yummy!!!

14. I'm pretty experienced with 400+ amps and the 300w 'actual' rating is right on. They claim 500w peak... NOT. Anyway they are wonderful amps an I kinda miss mine but when I tried running my former Bergantino HT212 or HT322 with this amp it CHOKED big time. I don't know how the AG would fair but the Bergs sounded wonderful at low to medium volume, but when I needed the power on a outside live gig ... not happening at all. The 400+ was very nice with my Berg NV610 or my HT/EX112s but I went a different route. I ended up with a Crest CA9 and Demeter pre. This rig will leave a mushroom cloud no matter what cab you would choose...

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I can echo what Big String is saying. While I enjoyed my 400+ 's (I owned two) with Mesa cabs in years past, I found they sounded weak and lacking with my Bergantino and Epifani cabs. Didn't have the Whappo Jr. when I still owned the Mesas but there are a number of more suitable amps for the El Whappo, I'm sure.

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup. Here's my setup at last Saturday's gig. Had I gotten the CA9 before I ordered a second Whappo Jr., I would have concluded that I didn't *need* a second cabinet. As you can see here, the single cab is all I really need (still breaking in the new one, anyway!)

[​IMG]

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    DaveAce give us a review on how the DB359 sounds with the Whappo Jr when you get her in!! :hyper:

18. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I just got the Whappo Jr., man this thing looks just as sharp in person as it does on the website. I'll be doing some major tests on all of my new gear in the next few weeks. My initial tests on this cab was only for about 10 minutes with a Hartke head, so let me get some time on my hands and try it with the Aguilar heads....
    ;)