45 Year-old Kay/Teisco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mojomike001, Sep 22, 2016.

1. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    A new and very inexpensive acquisition is this old Japanese Kay SG clone made by Teisco back in the late 60's or early '70's. This thing is surprisingly very cool and is in pretty good shape for such an old instrument. This was obviously never a high-end bass to begin with as it's plywood body layers reveal, yet it is really capable of producing a fantastic wide-range of tones. all the electronics and controls function just as they should. It's also nice and light at only 6 3/4 pounds and the slight neck-dive is not too bad. It actually plays pretty well. Should be fun to take out. I'm not sure how it compares with the similar-looking more modern Epiphones, but the fact that it is so old gives it kind of an extra appeal.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 6.JPG

godofthunder59 likes this.
  2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Looks like you got a good one. Every one of these I have seen hands-on had dreadful neck bow, which is more a commentary on the strings we had to use back then than it is the bass itself.

3. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    This neck is pretty good. I tightened the truss rod a little, made some adjustments to the crude old bridge, and she's good to go. It's still got foam under the bridge cover and sounds pretty damn good.

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    NOT plywood but multiple lamination's.:D

mojomike001 likes this.
  5. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Yeah! That's the ticket.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021