1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

47 but new again

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by tehuti, Apr 10, 2006.

1. tehuti

tehuti

Jan 27, 2006
    O.C.
    Hello,

I'm tehuti, a 47 year old bass newbie. I have had my bass for all of 2 days and I can't wait to start learning and making music.

I've been playing guitar for a little over 5 years, mostly blues and classic rock. Since I already have 5 guitars which is about 3 too many, I decided to get a bass and learn how to play that.

Now my dilemma is what to play. I love blues and blues/rock, but for bass I also dig funk, reggae/ska and just general rock. Also I am going to start doing home recording via my computer with the bass and guitar, so it's wide open what I will try to play.

This is purely a hobby for me, maybe some day I'll take my rig out to the local blues jam, but that's about it. What's a good place to start for someone just picking up the instrument?

2. As another bass newbie in my 40s, I've already worked through a few free lessons from bassists at www.activebass.com. Free lessons of note include reggae basslines, slap and pop fundamentals, scale and triad exercises, and basslines for specific types of music, including blues and funk and ska. I've printed more lessons than I've used thus far, but the selection kind of blows my mind. Best wishes from another newbie. -v