1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4ohm 8ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by apollo18, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I have a GK mb500 and a 8ohm 410 cab. Can I add another 8ohm 210 cab to get the amp to run at 4ohm? And if so, is both cabs going to get the same wattage thus over powering the 210? Hope this makes sense.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. Power would be divided equally between CABS, but being that the 2-10 only has a couple in it, the SPEAKERS in that cab would be getting twice as much as the SPEAKERS in the 4-10. Your best bet would be to get two 2-10 cabs, or just get one more 4-10.

3. This, essentially. If I were you, I would look into finding another 4x10 cab to jam with.

4. Thx guys. That's what I thought would happen. The reason I asked is because I was on CL and found a matching 210 to my 410 and I thought the size of the 210 would be more convenient. Another 410 it is

5. 2-410's with a 500 watt amp is as loud as a ??? Watt amp with one 410 cab?

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The math doesn't really play out like that. It's more physics than watts. It will be plenty loud.

7. Yeah. Also some may argue differently, but it's usually a good idea not to mix speaker sizes, like 1x15s, 4x10s, or 2x12s.
    But, with a 500w head and two 4x10 cabs, you'll probably be loud enough and have enough headroom to play clearly at any medium to largish-medium gig.

8. Generally when running to 8 ohm cabs the amp will run @ 4 ohms @ a higher wattage output.

Example: My Markbass Jeff Berlin with Little Mark III head delivers 300 watts @ 8 ohms to a single 15" speaker. I recently added a NY151 matching 8 ohm single 15. Power is now 500 watts. @. 4 ohms or 250 per cab . The cabs are rated to handle 400 watts. It is indeed a beautiful thing and loud as I forsee needing with loads of clean headroom.

I imagine your power increase. @ 4 ohms would be similar.

I too agree with most TBers that a matching cab is the best if not the only solution. Just the only solution for me.