1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x12 or 8x10 for fast downtuned music

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morganmcd, Sep 20, 2010.

1. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    Any thoughts?

Tossing up between a Mesa 4X12 and an Ampeg 8X10
    Weight/size doesn't phase me.

Is there any reason the 4X12 would be better?

I'm using quite heavy distortion most of the time if that makes a difference.

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    play through each one and see which sounds better to you.

Most people choose Ampeg 8x10's, but 4x12's tend to have more mid punch (from what i've been told, i have yet to play one).

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Depends on how downtuned and how much distortion. With tons of distortion it's generally my experience that the low end is so attenuated that you will be fine with an 8x10.

Also, a used SVT 810 is easy to come by for reasonable price almost anywhere in the world. That's how I would roll.

4. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    I've used an 8X10 at prac before, will be pinching the 4X12 from work when I get a chance.

The extra mid is why I was looking at the 4x12, I've seen a few people using distorted tones with 12's....

5. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    D drop C with LOTS
    C# drop B with a little

haha

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    With B being the lowest note you get but fairly light distortion on the B I would recommend considering the fEarful line or BFM Omni line -- custom builds are often very cost-effective abroad as the markup for shipping woofers is not too terrible relative to bass gear.

Harley over on the BFM forums does a great job building cabinets and is a NZ'er I believe.

An Omni 15 212 with a pair of 3012LF's is how I'd roll. No horn needed.

The Ampeg 8x10 is going to be WAY more cost-effective than Mesa, though, if you must go commercial.

7. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    Ive used an 810, 1540 and recently a 215. The 1540 was my first fridge and basically just compromised and lost on both ends. I currently am using the 810. You can hit all the low notes fine and it has a tighter sound to it. I also feel the 810 is easier to monitor yourself and gives you better stage volume. I gigged with a 2x15 one night on tour and the sounds was just too loose on stage and was hard to hear. I then also gigged with the 810 and 2x15 one night which was much better but was also really strange with the 2 extremes. I'm assuming a 4x12 would be very able to pump out a little more loosely than the 10's but still still retain clarity and is what I'm probably going to move to soon.

For techy-metal-death = 810
    for sludgy-doomy-ambience = 215
    in between = 412

I'd also take a look at the mesa cab that is 410 and 1x15 as it can do both very well.

8. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    Speaker size isn't really important. Two different 12s often have almost nothing in common, and the same goes for all speaker sizes. Your best bet is to try things and see how they sound.

9. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    Mesa is going to be cheaper for me than Ampeg.

I've tried the Mesa 4x10 1x15 cab, I found it to boomy for what I needed.

10. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    I looked into building something, but I really am useless with that sort of thing

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Contact Harley on the Bill Fitzmaurice forums...he could probably build you a cab for less than the cost of an SVT 8x10 in Australia. At least, I'd guess so based on the prices I've seen.

12. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Going by your sig you should be playing MESA dude ;)

I'd take both the 810 and 412 Mesa's from work (at the same time) and go from there.

:D

13. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    Hey mate!

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah. The Mesa 4x12 wouldn't sound so muddy... :ninja:

MM

15. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The Mesa 4x12 sounds AMAZING when using a overdriven/distorted sound. I've had both the 8x10 and 4x12 before and hands down 4x12 for distorted tones.

16. The only way to find out would be to have both there and play them side by side and see what sounds better.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    MESA!!!

- georgestrings

18. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    Cool this is what I want to hear haha

19. I play D standard/drop C with fuzz/disto quite a bit and my 810 works well... If I were to get a 412, I'd probably use it in conjunction with the 810. As a standalone, I'd use an 810. Not only can I hear it better (more at ear level) but because given the same watts it will be louder. Plus 810s sound awesome.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021