1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5/8 Case?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Cosmos, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY
    Hey,
    I really need a new case... I've had my Mooradian for about 5 years and it's completely falling apart. It's a 7/8 case and is way too big on the bottom for my bass. However, I tried a friend's 3/4 case that she got from Gage's and it was a bit snug yet it did fit. I'm interested in getting a Soundwear cases because they seem pretty durable and they come in a 5/8 size. Should I get that size or 7/8 or 3/4?

Thanks.

2. mjt0229

mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I have a Messina cover that I love. I'm pretty sure David can custom make covers for a peculiar sized bass and they're at least as good as a Mooradian. However, I'm also biased - he was my bass teacher for several years.

3. Just so you know, 5/8 < 3/4. 3/4 = 6/8. So in theory if a 3/4 bag is too small, a 5/8 bag will be even smaller.

4. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY
    oh wow i'm stupid. thanks ha

5. Well it may not mean much as not all basses of a given size match a set of specs perfectly, and I'm sure the same is true with bags. I have a similar situation -- I have a 3/4 Epiphone, and these basses have a slim profile (thinner from front to back, ie smaller ribs) than other 3/4 basses, so there is a lot of room leftover in my 3/4 bag. I would try to locate a dealer within driving distance that stocks a variety of case sizes/makes and bring your bass to try them on. Or, take some measurements: rib depth, bout sizes, height, etc, and send them to a dealer and see what they say.