Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iritan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Yeah, I'm looking into movin' on up to a 5 string(yeah, I'm kind of a beginner) it's not that I've never played them, just never owned one. Anyway, my question is, if you buy just a standard five string, nothin' fancy, can you just easily make take off the low B for a high C? If not where can I find a good five string with High C already on it.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You probably won't find a new bass strung E-C unless you special order or go custom.

That being said, there's no problem converting. It can be as easy as a simple string change. Worst case, you have to have the nut redone.

3. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Oh, awesome then, thanks, but one more question. Do they make sets of strings with the High C in it, or do I have to buy two packs of string and mismatch?

4. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    You should be able to just buy a single string for the High C.
    I did this before with a Peavey TL-5.
    Due to the change in neck tension, you may need to adjust the truss rod slightly, I did.

5. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Okay, thanks guys, you've been a lot of help.

6. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    FWIW, unless you're running out of notes up high (are you playing up above the 12th fret a lot and running out of room?), you'll get more flexibility out of keeping it as BEADG IMHO.

You can get some pretty high notes out of a regular tuning, especially if you have a 24 fret bass.

Having said that, for one or two of the songs I play I really could use a bass that goes a *little* bit higher. But I'd never trade that for the flexibility that the B string gives me. I use the B string constantly.

Also, since you're a beginner, be aware that putting on a high C will change the way you have to approach the instrument. You'll be reaching over that C string all the time. This may or may not be a problem for you, depending on the size of your hands and how good your technique is.

With it tuned BEADG, you can pretty much ignore that B string unless you need it, for transposing songs or playing runs in one position as opposed to heading down the neck to get the low notes.

Just IMHO. If EADGC tuning is your thing, go for it.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you can't find some who sells the single C that you want, another option is to buy a six-string set and throw out the B.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's seems like such a waste, tho. I've found that it's not that hard to get singles... everything from great stuff like DR all the way down to plain old GHS Boomers.

9. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    There's several sets on www.juststrings.com that are 5-string sets with a high C instead of a low B.

10. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    at juststrings.com you can also buy individual strings from just about every manufacturer.

11. Vinci Makes a "Special Light 5" Which is made for a 5 string strung E-C It works great for a Low B if you don't like the thicker strings....It's just a bit loose...Vinci sets are cheap and I love the feel...Nice sound too....

12. I have to agree with adouglas on this one. I just purchased my first 5, a Spector Rebop and I was asking the same question about dropping the B. I found that playing on the higher registers of the B was a bit of a stretch across that wide 5 string neck. So take into account, youll have to play all your E string stuff stretching across that neck if you move it into the B string position. As it stands now, I can play all me E stuff comfortably and ignore the B until it comes time to use it. It works out pretty good, an no, I dont have small hands. I actually bought the 5 because I wanted a longer scale and wider neck. I would suggest you find a 5 you like, and believe me the spacings are drastically different from one to another, and play that one before you decide to drop your B. I decided to keep the B because I liked where me E sits. And I was in the same situation as you.

13. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nice to hear that SOMEBODY on the planet agrees with me! I should have you talk to my wife.... :D

PS: I see your location...my middle name is Burnside. If it doesn't ring a bell, look up the history of your town. :bawl:

14. It's my job on this forum to haunt the five string posts of Adouglas it seems, hehe.

Really though, I use a short scale five string tuned E A D G C and I find it lovely for staying in position or interesting chord movements.

There is nothing wrong with a B, just as there is nothing wrong IMO with a C. I just happen to prefer a C to the B. I only use the B on my 35'' Peavey Millenium Plus when I want to "drop the bomb" so to speak.

15. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    :D

Get us together and we'd have one hell of an extended-range, multitracked bass section!

16. I'd be down, man.