5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I have done searches but havent gotten the results I wanted. My band is going into the studio soon and the bass i have now is not what i want to use. I would perfer a 5 string that is quiet with active pick ups for around $500 new or used. I was thinking an Ibanez because my band is mostly rock, but i need more suggestions.

2. do you use a 5-string now?
  3. no but i have borrowed a couple to jam with my band and i like having the B there
  4. John, the Ibanez is a good 5 string starter bass.

I would suggest not switching instruments just before entering the studio.

The studio has many pressures in itself and, changing your setup can add to the stress.

5. the bass i use now is noisy and doesnt sound good on recordings. And i need a new bass anyway not only for the studio
  6. the ESP LTD C-305 is awesome and can be had new for $570..so catching a used one will be very friendly to your budget. I just used it in my band practice today (first time in a full band environment w\ this bass) and it cut through very nice, even the B didn't get lost in the mix. It's very comfy, sleek and sexy...and it is a very quiet bass. so enjoy!
  7. That ESP looks nice. I will have to try to play it if guitar center has it when i go there this week.
  8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    if i were you id be all over a used MIA p-bass
  9. slicktop

Jun 30, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree with FiveStringsNme,the ESP C305 is a great bass. Neck thru, EMG pickups etc....You will be satisfied with ths bass.
  10. Stingray 5? It's above the price you set but honestly it is one of the best 5 string production basses you are gonna find.
  11. i was actually thinking of the Stingray 5 but i dont know if i can get that much money before we go into the studio
  12. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Maybe an MTD?
  13. if you can find an MTD for around $500 i'll take 2 of 'em :D
  14. You can always lease a Stingray 5 for the studio work.
  15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

I'm pretty sure he was talking about an MTD Kingston 5.
  16. the Ibanez BTB is a nice bass and you can pick up one of those for around $500. Spector and Schecter also make some nice 5-strings in that price range.

a great 5-string is the Lakland 55-01, they go for $700 new but you may be able to find a used one that you can afford.

one thing you you should check out is the neck shape and string spacing on 5-strings. some people like tighter string spacing, or a thicker more skinny neck. and some people (like me) like a flat wide neck with wider string spacing like lakland's have.
  17. JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    I second the BTB suggestion. With the 3 band active EQ, you can get a wide variety of tones, and the neck is very playable for a 5'er. The string spacing is more on the wide side, which is good if you plan to do alot of slap/pop kinda stuff, but I would definitely suggest playing one to see if it fits you first.
    When I was looking for a 5-string, I tried out a bunch of different basses including a MTD Kingston, Lakland, and Fender, and I found that the BTB was one of the most versitile of the bunch, especially considering its modest price tag. No regrets here.

18. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I like BTB's but I would say Lakland 55-01 all the way, VERY comfortable, my only complaint is that it only has 22 fretts, I would prefer 24.
  19. I'd suggest one of the Spector Professional series:-

Nowadays they are bolt on necks but you can get used ones I believe they were Spector 2000/5 models which are neck thru (I own one of the REX2000/5 basses from that series - as well as a Czech Built NS5CR)

I've used Spector basses for recording and they are veru nice, noiseless from my experience and cut through very well.

Godd luck!
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For around $500, the MTD Kingston is hard to beat. Has a better B string than anything else mentioned in the thread, except for the Lakland Skyline D55-01. If you can afford $700, the Lakland is the way to go.