1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Brite Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nu11nV01D, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

Jul 8, 2011
    Hey, folks, I bought a 5 string set of GHS Brite Flats for my Douglas 5 stringer. I'm a bit concerned about the gauge of the B string, though. It come out to be 0.129" and it barely fits in my nut.

I don't mind the thickness, but I'm concerned about it bending my neck all to pieces. Anybody have any experience with strings this thick?

2. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Right about the normal gauge for a B from what I've seen - I've used 0.128 to 0.130 for years.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    THe .129 at B will put much less tension on the neck than a .062 tuned to D will.

4. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

Jul 8, 2011
    *whew* alright, I was worried I was gonna mess some stuff up

5. pi_r_squared

pi_r_squared

Sep 3, 2008
    Seems like for brite flats there were 2 B's available. I don't remember for sure, but I think the .129 was the lighter one. In any case, I used brite flats for BEAD tuning and they were fine. I liked then on a fretted, but for sliding I found the edges of the windings to be a little "harsh". Probably because they're ground rather than flatwound. In any case, have fun.