1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string clip on tuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vxjoe, Apr 5, 2014.

1. vxjoe

vxjoe

Sep 22, 2013
    Not sure what section this belongs in, here goes.

Looking for a clip on tuner for 5 string bass. Tried a few and they are slow, short battery life, the coin style batteries die quick. I tried the Korg and D'Addario, these are mini-tuners. Both have trouble tuning the low B. Before I buy another I thought the brain trust should weigh in. Are the larger round Snark tuners any better? Or should I stick with my rack, floor, and hand held tuners?

2. Yes, the Snarks seem to work a little better. I own both of the other two and sometimes I have to play the B string as a harmonic to get a solid lock. The Snark seems to find lock a little better but isn't perfect.

Having something that reads the signal rather than vibrations off the head stock will be more reliable. Joyo makes a Pitchblack clone that's cheap. I use a Pitchblack on my bass pedal board but am getting the joyo for my guitar pedalboard.

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    My experience has been the same: the Snark works a bit better than the D'addario (NS) mini, but popping the 12th fret harmonic takes care of the B string on both.

After some time with both of those headstock tuners, I just went back to putting a pedal on top of my amp and feeding it signal from the tuner out. For me there isn't any advantage to the clip-on and the pedal is quick to grab the pitch and easy to read.

4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Strange,
    I don't play 5 strings bass, but my colleague does, he has the same Korg PC-1 as me (even use mine sometime). It's may not the best tuner available in the market, but I never see he has any problem with that.

5. tbear1776

tbear1776

Apr 8, 2013
    Snark works well for me too.

6. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    contrary, I never use my old tuners (t.c. electronic, Boss TU etc)..anymore. It's wasting time for me. Although maybe, just maybe, they tuned better than this my smallies cheap tuner. Never a problem for me tho. Live, it's OK (better than my ears), Recording, I always can fine tune with Pro Tools plug-in or alike.