1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String EADGC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CygnusSong1215, Apr 8, 2010.

1. CygnusSong1215

CygnusSong1215

Dec 21, 2009
    Does anyone string their 5'er EADGC? Did you have to modify anything about your nut or bridge to do it? Just curious because i want the extended high range of a 6 string but dont really use the B string enough to justify how much it gets in the way.

2. Not me. Maybe only a tweak of the truss rod is all you will need though

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    EADGC will be more tension on the neck than BEADG.

Somebody should try DGCFA# on a 5 string.

4. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Yes, you do have to reset the intonation on the bridge. If your intonation is set for BEADG then you will need to make the necessary adjustments for EADGC tuning. It's not difficult to do at all.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    *DGCFBb

6. Spiketronic

Spiketronic

Dec 18, 2003
    San Francisco
    You may also have to have a new nut cut (ouch!) depending on what you have now and the gauge of the strings you'll be putting on.

7. Same thing.... You know, like G#=Ab, E=Fb, etc...

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is the original way 5 strings were strung - the whole "Low B" thing is a fairly recent thing (the first 5 string with a low B I recall seeing was... 1985?). I had seen several old Fender V's that were strung high in used stores... I remember going to American Dream music in Downtown SD when I was a kid and seeing TONS of ancient Fenders, none of which was more than $400... *sigh*....

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I string my Carvin E-C. No modifications were necessary, other than a quick intonation adjustment, as said above.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I used to tune like this, best with a Hipshot, for Drop C.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    But Bb is the fourth from F, not A#. Semantics, I know, but one thing that annoys me.

12. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Depends on the bass. I have done several this way. Usually intonation is all that is necessary, however I have filed down nuts a bit as well. As stated above, it also depends on relative string sizes. Its not that big of a deal. Not seriously different than going from heavy strings to light strings.

13. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Me too.

14. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Sometimes you have to reset the intonation when going from BEADG to BEADG. You should learn how to do a setup on your bass.

15. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Gee dumb old me ... but you know when I play a Bb and an A# on my bass it really ends up being the same note. :bassist:

Actually if you get into it unless you play an unlined fretless you are playing "tempered" notes that are slightly off anyway.

16. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Looks to me like someone should learn to read music and quit following the all the TAB that is on the internet written by 12 year olds.

If a piece is written with B, E, and A flatted on the score. The notes are not called A Sharp, D Sharp and G Sharp.

Buy a theory book and learn your craft.