1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassgtr, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Bassgtr

Bassgtr

Dec 29, 2011
    First and second frets on the G string buzz on my bass. There is some relief in the neck (havn't measured it, but I can see it). Raised the string height till it goes away but it makes the bass unplayable. There anything else I can try? The other strings/frets are fine, it's just those two notes that buzz.

2. What kind of bass is it? It sounds like the first few frets may be high, but it could be a setup issue as well.

When you hear the buzz, do you hear it close to the fret you are fingering or at the other end of the fretboard?

3. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    A buzz that low on the fretboard, on a specific string sounds like a nut slot cut too deep. For a temp diagnosis can you insert a very small shim of some sort in that slot to raise the string a bit to see if that helps at all? If it does you probably have your answer. Second, look for a slightly high (or loose) 2nd or 3rd fret on that side.

Also a bit of info here for a quick check:

Bass Setup; Nut Height

4. Once you fret the first fret, it is no longer a nut height issue. Nut issues are characterized by open string buzzing. It sounds to me like he is talking about fretted buzzing.