Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string fretboard chart?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mara, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Hi guys,

Could you point me into the right direction. I'm looking for 5-string fretboard chart but can't find one anywhere in the web...

Cheerio,

Mara

2. if you find a 4-string chart, then you can simply use that!

start on B on the A string (2nd fret), imagine this as your open string. This would make 'C' your first fret and so on, right up to the 14th fret on the A, which is the same note at the 12th fret on the B string.

hope that makes sense! good luck :)

:cool:

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Write your own out - several times - to help you learn the fretboard. Writing is much more instructive than printing what somebody else has done ;)

Wulf

4. Futterman

Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    uranus
    I agree with wulf, write it down and memorize the fretboard inside and out.

But... i'll help you out abit here.

Fretboard

Have fun:bassist:

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm going to try writing it out...but I have a little bit of a "cheat note" if you will.

Mel Bay has a booklet/folder: "MelBay's Five-String Bass Chord Chart" by Mike Holland. On the back page there's a section marking out each string by fret, the name of the note for the fret, where the note lays in the bass clef. The product number is MB99578.

I have another such booklet for four string bass "Bass Guitar Chords" by Ron Middlebrook. The back page has a fretboard map as well as some scales, chord progressions, etc. Product number HL00000073.

Good luck!

6. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Thanks a bunch!

:bassist:

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Now take the chart and start looking for the patterns - for example, you can reach the octave of any note by either going two strings up and two frets up or three strings up and three frets back.

Another useful exercise is to colour in all the notes of a given scale and seeing how many ways you can find up and down the neck playing scale based patterns.

These are the kind of things that build fretboard familiarity.

Wulf

8. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    ...or you could make your own chart, buy using a gutiar chart and omitting the high 'E' and moving the 'B' string to the position below the low 'E'.

HERE IS A GUITAR FRETBOARD CHART

That will get you started.

9. JimBurn likes this.
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Cool link!!!

11. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    How do you write the notes after the 12th fret??

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile