1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string J Basses with killer B strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zanderwestcoast, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Circle K balanced strings help tremendously with that. Though I'd really like to try a fanned fret bass someday.

2. Hi there,

I tried a lot of 5-string basses in the last months, mostly the cheaper ones.
    But once in a music-shop I also tried the expensive models of different manufactures.

Most of the 34" basses had problems with the clear, tight and powerful B-string, not depending on the price of the instrument. Some had more problems, some less.

And then I tried 2 Spector basses, one Euro 5 from Czech republic and one US 5.
    Both are 35" scale, as far as I know.

And none of them had any problems with the B-string.

Maybe you can compensate the B-string-problem on 34" basses with trying different kinds of strings, but I think it's the longer scale that helps.

The next bass I buy will have 35" for sure.

Greetz vom germany

3. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada

No price range.....open to spending the dough if necessary. Doesn't have to be a fancy exibition top....I am leaning towards a brazillian rosewood fb

4. Zanderwestcoast

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Haven't noticed that issue with my Roscoe or Lakland 55-94.....both 35" scale
    They play very even through all frequencies and string to string balance is great. String tension is great.

As for Dingwall....I just can't get over the look of them! Not to my taste at all......

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have a Roscoe LG-3005 fretless. 35" scale, great B.

I used to have a Devon Diamond J. 35" scale, great B. a few of these pop up used at IMHO insanely low prices.

I used to have two Hanewinckel 6-strings. Both 34" scale, great B strings. Would still have both if I didn't suck at 6-string.

My Alembic is a 34" and has as good a B as can get, but since it is no where near a J bass......

In my farting around at various music stores, the other B strings on J type basses that impressed me are.......

• Pedulla PentaBuzz and Thunderbass
    • MTD Z5
    • Sadowsky (I miss Low Down Sound)

6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    +1

Mine has a B string that is as good a my Lakland.

7. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The Carvin SB5000 and B50s sound killer, and are much, much cheaper than anything of comparable quality. Check out Ed Friedland's review of the SB5000 on YouTube.

The B50 is identical to the SB5000 aside from the body shape.

As other folks have said, don't overlook the American Fenders. Their current crop of 5ers is quite nice.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Best I have ever played was on the Dingwall Afterburner II I used to own. Hated playing the bass due to the B being 36-37" and the fanned frets were something I could never get used to.

Beyond that one, my Modulus Quantum 5 has a great B as did my Lakland 55-02, Roscoe SKB 5 and 6ers and suprisingly... my 34" Sadowsky Metro.

Lots of good ones out there IME.

34" Fender 5ers can be pretty good, but definately a Jazz over a P5. Not a fan at all of the recent American P5's' B AT ALL.

9. Get a Fodera NYC 5[​IMG]

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    F Bass VF5.

11. Killer? Mike Lull. I think that's it for. Of course, I wouldn't own a bass that didn't have at least a good B string but as for one that really slays it's Mike Lull. Well, there's also my buddies heavily modded Squier VM Jazz 5 that also had an amazing B string but I haven't played nearly enough 5 string Squiers to say whether or not that's normal.

I've yet to play a Roscoe J yet but if the B strings on their jazzes hit as hard as the Bs on their normal models then they're also worth a look. The same can be said for the F-bass VF models.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky has perfected the 5 string bass. :bassist:

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    imo the b string on all the 5 string jazzes are average at best.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pffft.

15. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Sometimes it's the string, not the bass.

That being said, Spector, Sadowsky, Fender, Lakland - I've tried them all, I owned two. Amazing B-string, both 35" scale. I use Elixir Strings and DR Lowriders.

16. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    interesting… I suspect it might be a poor B string installation/setup. In my experience (with way over 200 hundred basses built) I have never found a Nordy with intonation problem (but than again, I find most of these problems - in any basses that is - are in the way a B string is being installed and set up).

But (again) it might be that that bass is not working for you. I suggest (on the list of basses mentioned on this thread) to give the Classic model, (34", one piece maple neck) a spin :)

M

17. My Alleva-Copollo EUT5 (70's jazz 5) is the best 5'er I've played. Has the best B string.
    2nd is my (Aus made ) Mallioux J5

18. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    While it's not a tradition jazz with two single coils I would throw the Yamaha BB (I have the 1025X) series in there. Great single coil bridge pickups paired with a split coil at the neck. Really sharp and articulate. And it's a 34 scale but the B is incredible.

19. Zanderwestcoast

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada

I love the bass apart from the B string. I don't think it is a set up issue.....I have 8 other basses including a Roscoe 5 string and a Lakland deluxe 55-94 5 string I have no issues with. I have had problems with the B right from when I first bought it new. I sent it back down to Nordstrand and some adjustments were made to the frets which helped but didn't fix it. I wonder if the neck is not as straight as it should be....