5 String Max Comfort

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslifter, Jul 6, 2019.

1. I'm looking for a 5 string with maximum playing comfort. We need some criteria, so here we go:
    Narrow Nut Width
    Narrow String Spacing
    Lightweight - Less than 9 lbs
    Less than $1K
    Balances well

I am kind of leaning toward the Yamaha Trbx605 or the Ibanez SRMS805. The fanned fret concept is intriguing as others have stated it feels more ergonomic. The samples I have heard of the BH2 pickups sound better to me than the previous versions, but not quite as good as the Nordstrands they use in the premium models. I can't play one though as no one around me stocks them. There is also about a $200 price difference between the two. Thoughts? Others to consider?
    Thanks!

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Ibanez fits the description of what you're looking for. Personally I much prefer the tone of their models with the big singles.

3. Yes I was thinking about maybe opening myself up to consider a used sr1405 or similar for that reason.
    Thanks

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Canada
    I’d suggest even the 2019 Ibanez SR505 (if you’re gentle on the body finish as they have notorious issues with that). I played the 2019 one and really liked the new passive switch with the BH2 pickups. It’s a bit cheaper than the SRMS805.

The Yamaha is nice too however I found the string spacing at the bridge a bit wide compared to the Ibanez (also the new Ibanez bridges have adjustable spacing).

5. gphil

gphil

Jul 9, 2016
    Sauk Centre, MN
    I have a SRMS805 and I just love it.

It balances well and mine weighs 8.5 pounds. I have chromes on it and the sound sits great in the mix. It can be heard well without getting too loud.

This was my first 5-string in 40 years of playing bass. I have not noticed the fanned frets, it feels very natural. It did take me some time to get used to a 5-string however.

6. Any of the Soundgear fives are as compact as you can get for a five, generally, and the resulting body in a lighter wood combined with their traditionally narrow necks would fit the bill. The TRB Yamahas are great axes, but more similar to Fender or MusicMan in their overall size and feel.

srayb likes this.
  7. Do you feel like the fanned frets are giving you something extra you wouldn't be getting with one of the 'regular' models ergonomically speaking

8. gphil

gphil

Jul 9, 2016
    Sauk Centre, MN
    I don't know if I get if I get anything extra from it. As I said this is my first 5-string and I am still getting used to having that 5th string. I do know that the fanned frets are very natural and I have not had to spend any time adjusting to them.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021