1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-string "P-Bass" pickup question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fishtx, Jan 13, 2012.

1. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Got a question for you pickup gurus out there.

Are there known grounding or phasing issues with 5-string "P-Bass" style pickups since they are split unevenly (ie 3-poles on the top side of the pickup, and 2 poles on the bottom side)??

I've got a 5-String CS Reggie Hamilton that has a lot of hum off the "P" style pickup (2-pole side) when I touch it. If I touch the 3-pole side, no hum.

If I complete the ground loop (through my body) by touching the pickup with a finger of my right hand, and the strings on the neck with my left, the hum stops.

I thought there may be a bad ground somewhere. I have opened it up and gone over it but can't find any loose or broken grounds (bridge ground is good, etc).

Note there is only a single ground coming from the "P" pickup (off the 3-pole side...which does not cause the hum...hum only when I touch the 2-pole side).

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    According to how i understand these things (which is poor at best), a P pickup is actually two pickups wired in series hence creating ONE split humbucking pickup. No noise should come if it is wired properly.
    I suggest you contact FMIC and ask them
    For two wiring diagrams- one for the pickup itself, and one for the entire preamp.
    It is at all possible the pickup itself is wired incorrectly.
    I bet replacements are available aftermarket, i got a deluxe 5 P from a vendor i found here at TB.

3. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Both my 4 string P-basses hum like crazy when I touch any pole piece of pickup (no matter which side)

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There is nothing about a five-string P-bass pickup specifically that should contribute to hum. Note: many humbucking soapbars designed for five string basses are similar in that they are side-by-side split coils, one covering three strings and the other covering two.

As noted by others, have the wiring checked. Also... avoid touching the poles. :p That's a downside to exposed-pole pickups. It is weird that it happens to one coil but not the other, though.

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes...that's weird...

6. J-wall

J-wall Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Try the pickup forum, nice and knowledgeable guys there. And, yes, there are issues with a 5 string P pup but I am not be best to explain it. More of a balance between the two "halves" but maybe hum issues as well.

7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks...

8. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Southeast Wisconsin
    I know, old thread, but I am having this issue and it wasn't really "solved"

Same thing is happening to me, except the pickup is a regular four string P-Style. Only one coil has the crazy buzz, and the other is fine. It is alleviated when I touch the back of the volume pot or other ground, but otherwise it is unusable. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!