1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string Quick release bridges? Gothoh vs ABM?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I have a Moon JB5 and it came with what I think is a Gotoh quickrelease bridge.Seems like a pretty solid bridge except I think the springs on it rattle,mainly on the A string on certain notes and the saddles are not all in their own tracks only the outside ones, so there is a little play there.When I lpay on the A string 3rd fret if I don't watch it I can get a clacking sound which I'm wondering might be caused by the looseness of the saddles.My Jazz bass has a ABM quick relase bridge made in Germany,nice bridge supposedly made of brass and it has no springs that rattle and it is very adjustable and everything locks down.A bridge like that for a 5 is over 100.- and I'm wondering if it would be wothwhile to replace the Gotoh with an ABM.I know this is a tough question, but is there enough of a difference between a Gotoh and an ABM for example that it would alter the sound of my bass? Are there maybe other quickrelease bridges that would be better than the ABM?