1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string set on a 4

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Robson780, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Robson780

Robson780

Jan 12, 2009
    Hey all, I have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz that I use in drop C. (CGCF).

For the longest time I've been using Ernie Ball Power Slinkys which I believe are a 55-110. Lately I've been experimenting with different gauges, and I was wondering if I could use a 5 string set.

The set in particular goes 60, 75, 95, 125. Is this too heavy and would it cause damage to the neck?

Also, I frequently used this bass in several different tunings because I fill in for a lot of bands and it is my 'go-to' bass, and sometimes have to tune up to standard, half a step down, etc. As I had mentioned, I was a long time user of the EB Power Slinkys, would all the tuning differences have created any potential problems with my bass?

Thanks a lot.

2. Well I know the Geddy has a very thin neck, and I've heard guys say that .105 is as thick as is safe. That's all I can say, I know it's really not helpful. Best of luck!

3. Robson780

Robson780

Jan 12, 2009
    Hm, that can't be right. I've been using 110s for a long time.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Download the D'addario tension chart pdf. Check out the tensions for a 45-105 set of rounds tuned to standard assuming this is the ballpark you are shooting for. Then you can look at the string gauges tuned to your desired pitches that give about the same tension. From there you can decide if there is a 5 string set that gets you close or maybe you go to Just Strings and buy singles.

Be sure you get the scale length correct when doing the charts. Assuming 34" scale you probably want to use the D'Addario XL Nickel rounds long scale.

5. Robson780

Robson780

Jan 12, 2009
    I have been trying to decipher the guide for some time now. To no avail.

6. I know I find a 110 perfect for a C or C#, but 125 is way too thick for anything above B for me.

Course, I also play a 100 E.