5 string short scale flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fjadams, Dec 15, 2012.

1. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks. Are there any that you'd recommend? Don't know anything about fivers. Just need them to be flat and able to tune and intonate. If I can get it to intonate, doesn't seem to want to.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Well, I could be mistaken but it does not seem like any other companies make short scale B strings besides La Bella. I have some on order to pair up with their Short Scale sets, but not on hand yet :(

3. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Ok. Would you let me know when you get a set in. Thinking I might rip it apart and take the sander to it before I get it all set up. Have to get that nasty black off and into something more presentable.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Will do...

To speed things along I just ordered single B strings... Will revisit this thread when on hand!

5. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Thank you.

6. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    cool, cause I just ordered a 5 string Short Scale Mikro so I'll probably be wanting a B string also......

7. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Sent Email about the LaBella SS 5 string set.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I just received a ship notification for some short scale Flatwound B strings...

I am getting a LIMITED quantity.

I just ordered single B strings so they can be paired with any 4 string set. This was the fastest way to get them...

They should be here by the end of next week, early the week after...

9. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I'd like a set of 5 string flats for the ESP SS. Scale length 28 1/2.

10. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Did the strings come in yet? I'd like to get the rounds off of it and get the flats on.

I think it wouldn't be too bad of a bass with better strings. Take out that twangy sound.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    YES!!!

I created a special item for those who would like to purchase a 5 string short scale set.

I will list the single on its own as well...

12. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks. Mine are ordered and am patiently waiting.

Looks like the sander is coming out to take the nasty black paint off of it. Still haven't decided on a new color yet.

13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Just ordered a set....thanks.....I ordered the standard set though I think I might prefer a light set......is the standard guage a better balance for the 128 B string?

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Do you want me to switch your order to the light gauge?

15. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Thanks for reminding me about the tension factor on short scales.....let's keep it the Standard Guage of 45-105.....thanks

16. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks. Strings arrived today. They ought to be perfect. The sander comes out this week and hopefully put some paint on it soon.

17. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Thanks.....strings arrived on Thursday last.......put them on my Mikro 5 string bass....

Let me start by saying......I love Labellas and have them on 2 other basses (both short scale) but this B string doesn't like the Mikro (or vice versa).....very floppy....

I've never had so much trouble intonating strings on a bass before.....This Mikro doesn't seem to like the Labella B string at all....very floppy....whereas the original D'Addario B string was nice and taut, this Labella just flops...almost impossible to intonate it.....now I don't blame the Labellas, I have them on 2 other basses but it's my first time with a 5 string and the Mikro's bridge is a pain in the A** cheap bridge......I had managed to intonate this Mikro with the original strings and get a not too bad action but really didn't love the original strings and do prefer flats......I had to shorten most of the screws and even file down (shorten) the B saddle so I could intonate the B string as it could not go any further from the nut.....don't know if I like a tapered string.....I've got the action on that B string way higher than I like and it still flops and buzzes and the string is so big that I had a terrible time trying to fit it in the tuner's hole, had to flatten it so I could put it in the tuner......I've got the other 4 strings intonated now (after 3 days of working on it for 2 hours per day) and still the B is barely intonated.....I'm going to let it sit for a few days and continue working on it in a few days and hope it finally settles down.....but I've come to the realization that THIS MIKRO does not like the Labella B string........

18. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Mikro is a sub short scale though?

Is the full winding going around the tuning post? Most likely this damaged the string. I think the mikro needs an even shorter string for proper fitment

:-/

19. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    No. The winding is just where it should be surprisingly enough......I checked the string to make sure it hadn't twisted around (sometimes that happens) and it's sitting properly....I think a .125 (like the original is.....from what someone else mentioned in another thread) might be better......I'm letting it sit for a few days (for my sanity) and hope it'll have settled down by then, otherwise I'll have to put the old string back on and that'll suck but as you know, not too many short scale flat B strings around......The Mikro, being 28.5 is not really a great candidate for a B string to start with....sometimes miracles don't happen....lol....does Labella make a .125 flat B string?

I have one shortscale bass that has long scale strings on it and the winding does go around the post for about 1/2 inch on the E string and the intonation is perfect nonetheless....the Mikro is an "odd duck"....

20. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Is there a way you could post photos of the "modification" you made to the string to fit the instrument?

It is hard to say if the string could have been bad or just damaged.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021