Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 strings around 5 bills

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Feb 27, 2006.

1. :eyebrow: whats the best option for a 5 string around 500 give or take like a hundred bucks

basses i was considering;

esp b255

peavey grind 5 string

or even geting an OLP MM 5 string and changing the pups to some basslines

if anyone has any better ideas plz post thanks

2. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Okay, here goes....

...wait for it...

Yamaha BB415 ($450) or BB615 ($499)

IotaNet will be on shortly to echo my sentiment.

3. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingston 5 - great bass for $500

[​IMG]

4. what kinda sound do u get from your kingston?

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i dont have a lot of experience on mine yet but i would say the tone is clear and distinct. it has more mid range bite to it than i am used to playing with due to the MM pickup.

with the tone knob all the way on there is a lot of high end clarity as well, and the B string is nice and solid on the low end.

6. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    if your looking for a bigger sounding b string schecter makes some nice, affordable 35' scale 5 strings

7. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    My Kingston 5 sounds very Rayish . . ..next to my Stingray. wide string spacing, very well balanced bass. Can't say enough good things about the Kingston. Great value IMHO

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

:D

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely the Kingston 5. DEFINITELY. Greatest bass under $700 ive played.

10. Ok. The Grind is a great bass, but be warned. They have HOT pickups, so if your using a little 10 watt amp, don't get it. The pickups are so hot that they actually overdrive smaller amps, so you need you amp to be something that can handle that. My Ampeg BA115 100 watt can handle it, at least when I tried it out.

You could look out for a good used Peavey Cirrus BXP. I'm saving up to get one now. I've heard that Yamaha makes quality stuff, but I haven't played one first hand to tell you.

Whatever you do, make sure you play it before you even consider purchasing it.

11. G&L Tribute

[​IMG]

12. [​IMG]

Schecter makes a good cheap bass.

13. I got a Yamaha RBX 775 for $200... used... plays fine IMO.

14. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I tried out a Dean Sledgehammer 5, though it's different, because it had a natural ash body and a maple board. It sounded and played great. Somewhere between a Ray 5 and a Warwick. Really one of the most impressive basses I've played lately.

[​IMG]

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Used Lakland 55-01.

16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Another Peavey option would be the Millennium AC BXP. Excellent bass for the money. Good slim neck and very versatile sound.

17. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Another vote for the MTD out of the options given so far.

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    There's 2 Conklin GT-5s on EvilBay, right now.

19. where in the world can i find a kingston 5 ive looked online , ebay, and even local pawn shops is there any one who can point me in the right direction?

20. have you considered a Spector Legend 5? very nice sounding bass with a great b string