Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 Strings under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I need a 5 string for concert band... It is the beginning band class, and there are no tubas... so I was recruited to play tuba parts on my barse.

Problem is, I have 4 strings... And they don't go as low as I need them to, and if I tune any of them BEAD, it just sounds like ass.

I don't want a lame one, I may as well get a good 5 that won't leave me desiring more in 5 months.

My options seem to be:

Spector Performance
    Ibanez
    Yamaha
    Essex/Brice (If I really have to...)
    Used?

I don't want a 5 string... but it is a necessary evil at the moment. I could get away with a ultra-cheap one, because I don't play 5's or anything that requires one... But I'm sure it will come in handy eventually, so I may as well get an intermediate 5 that wont leave me wanting.

2. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Yamaha's are very cheap, but have great tone and playability. Not sure about the rest on your list.

You could just buy a pack of 5er strings (BEADG), and put the BEAD on your bass. I assume you've tried tuning your standard strings down to BEAD, right? If you put strings that are gauged to be tuned to BEAD, and tune them to that, you should get a pretty good sound ;) But you lose your G string, which is terrible lol.

If you really think you'll want a 5er, I would get one. But if you're only gonna use it to hit those 5 extra notes, than I'd just buy diff strings ;)

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I put a set of 5's on my bass when I did it... it sucked. :p

4. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
  5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    YUP YUP! What he said.. The RBX375 is better made and has great playablility and tone compared to brice. I still love my brice, just don't use a 5 that much. But if your gonna use 5 alot, that RBX is top notch for under $400. And looks cool too (silver or black)

What happened to the RBX775 ? Is the 375 the upgrade with better pups?

6. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Heck, I may get a 375 and get rid of the Brice. Anyone want a brice for $100?

7. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    ^^^ LOL...good luck with that sale :p

Hey, DMB rocks man. You're probably the guy at nancies who posted about TB lol.

8. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Im the guy at Nancies that posted about TB in the Modulus thread. :bassist:

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    $100, hardcase included? heh . I'll work on that sale. I remember playing the RBX775 and loving it, except for the noisy pickups. It had great tone, awsome playability, but the damn pickups were noisy. I take it the 375 improved on that. Which is now why I want one.

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    G&L Tribute L-2500 - should be close to $500.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I went to look at my cousin's MIM J V today... hated it profusely.

Friggin heaviest bass bever.

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    In a word, no. I'll reprint what I posted here

I love, and I mean love the Yamaha's I've played and recorded with, most recently my dual RBX 775's, but in a comparison I'll paraphrase what I said here:

Off the top of my head, the 775's have additional carving on the body along the "bottom" (when strapped on) which I'm sure were removed from the 375's to reduce CNC time and cost. IMO, the 375's look cheaper due to this. 775's have a monorail-type bridge vs. the more standard on the 375's, which I think again is to lower cost by sacrificing quality. I personally prefer the 35" scale, but that's my choice and playing style, and I can see your disagreement. The electronics are certainly different - I haven't had a chance to play a 375 so I can't comment on that other to say it looks to be more normal than the 775's odd "pickup selector/tone/mid-boost" configuration. The color selection did (and still does) have much to be desired on both series, but the flat silver is pretty sweet, and the flat blue looks much better in person than it was ever photographed. I will say that I envy the metallic red of the 375 (and was originally going to be offered on the 775 according to the original press releases - I wonder what happened on that regard?)

Based on the above and the fact that I bought two 775's within 2 weeks, I'd have to disagree. I think the 775 was a sleeper and a casualty of one of the tightest markets to sell in - the "$999 list" area. With it's street price about 1/2 of the 775 before the "discontinued blowout", the 375 appears to be a lower-tier version and while a good bass for the price, hardly "offers much more" and is deserving of it's own series.

Between the discontinuation of the 775's and the screw-up of the new RBXJM2, it seems that Yamaha simply doesn't know how to market their "rock line" as opposed to the BB/TRB's, which both sell a tremendous amount and generate positive word-of-mouth (which you can't buy) regardless of pricepoint, be it a BB404 or 2005.

New material: anyone looking at a 375 might want to take a few days for a 775 to pop up on eBay (people bought them during the firestorm sale, wasn't their thing, now selling...). You could easily get a "practically new" 775 for less than a 375, sometimes with tags and warrantee still available, and put the savings towards new electronics as it seems that's what most people are complaining about. Myself, I don't have a major problem with them (perhaps an upgrade in the future, but nothing that's desperately needed IMO)

14. Jazzin'

it shouldnt be more than 10 lbs.

15. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Damn, I wish someone was out there that has played both the 775 and the 375. I have only played the 775 and hadn't noticed the extra body work that the 375 lacks, good job on finding that. Still, if the 375 plays anything like the 775, it'll be way above average. That neck on the 775 brought me back to the days of going to Mars every weekend and playing the modulus; LIKE BUTTA!

16. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Also, what was the screwup on the RBXJM2?

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have a Hamer Velocity 5 for sale for $350.00 and it is an excellent bass. It looks like a Warwick and sounds like a Ray. If you are interested I have pics.

18. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think I've seen Kingstons sell used for under $500 (MTD Kingstons) those I think are a GREAT buy

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You do realize when you're reading a tuba part to play it all up an octave right? This is off topic from this forum, but here it goes anyway.

Tuba reads the music where it sounds-we don't, for the ease of reading, all bass parts are "transposed" up a full octave e.g. it sounds an octave lower than written. Example: what we read as Middle C sounds as the one below it or Space C-make sense?

Back on topic.....For a 5er under $500-used MTD Kingston or save up a bit longer for an SUB5-i am biased towards the Ray5 style though. Also-the SX Jazz 5s are remarkably good for the money. One of my students bought one as a first five string. I had to think long and hard to NOT buy one-might even still though-i really liked the sound. This is apparent since i've been GASing for 2 main basses-a 6 string, and a passive j 5.

If you have any questions about playing bass in school band-feel free to message me on AIM or via PM.

That's all

20. Jazzin'

thats true, bass and guitar both have their music transposed up an octave for them.