5 strings with bell covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. I know i've seen a pick of a 5 string j (possibly p/j) around somewhere with a chrome bell cover over the neck pick up. Does anyone have some pics of 5 bangers with bell covers over the neck pick-up? Does anyone know where one could order such a thing? I ask because i definately want one on my next custom i'll be ordering it in a several months (yup nino, another order is comming in before this time next year :p ). Thanks in advance! :D
  2. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Mike Lull has them.
    http://www.mikelull.com/welcome frames.htm
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Fender Marcus Miller 5.

It looks nice and all, but it's definitely more of an esthetic than a functional thing and it can get in the way of a player, especially if you're not used to it.

Maybe some folks who got used to having pickup covers can chime in whether it affected their playing or not.
  4. It definately doesn't bug me. I played on two seperate basses (one with an ashtray too, now THAT bugged me...) but the bell cover didn't seem to bother my playing at all except when i slapped. never noticed how much my hand flew around before :smug:

Hey 5bass, i didn't see them in the store, am i not looking hard enough or does he not sell them?

Basically my deal is that i'm ordering a P/J from nino in a while and i really want a Nordie P5 pick up in it, but i want a J body with the PG/control plate...BUT, i can't stand the look of a P on a J body, hence the cover.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  6. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Email Mike. I did and he said he has them.

Mine doesn't get in the way like I thought it would. I place my thumb inline with the bass anyway so this sets my fingers alittle futher back just enough to miss the cover. Not a problem!