1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50s Reissue P pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kev451, Aug 12, 2020.

1. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hello everyone, I hope everyone and their families are doing well. I have a set of pickups from the Fender 50s Roadworn reissue Basses. These pickups sound fantastic. I’d like to put them in my bass. Problem is it’s a PJ style American Fender. So I’m asking opinions from you PJ bass guys what J pickup would you pair with these. Style of music is punk with rock but when I’m home I tend to play differing styles of things. I normally just a touch of the J pup to help round things out and just give it a little bump. So what do you guys think would go good paired with these pups. I’m thinking a set of 60s style pups as they are the most close in terms of era. But that’s just a guess on my part.

2. Throw them in and see how they sound before spending money on another pickup.

kodiakblair and kev451 like this.
  3. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    I already know how they sound they sound great. Problem is the bass itself is a PJ body style. That’s why I’m asking opinions on what J pickup would go good with these pickups.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Dimarzio Area J. Vintage tone, noise canceling, and affordable.

Yahboy and kev451 like this.
  5. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Any rear (bridge) Jazz PU that fits the existing Jazz slots / lug holes will work fine. 50's P bass pickups were single coil, later came the familiar P humbucking split coil. So you may need a new pick guard cut to accept the new single coil pickup. You will noice more hum than your old P PU. This can be alleviated by dialling in a tiny amount of the Jazz pickup using your bend knob. Not enough to change the P bass sound, but just enough to act as a slight hum buck. It doesn't need much.
    If it was my bass I would probably buy a sweet MM pickup and replace the Jazz with the MM. It'll need a routing template made to fit the MM pickup and then use the template to cut the PU hole in the body. I think the old 50's single coil PU pairs really well with a MM, in terms of output and having a wider and brighter tonal pallet.

6. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Umm...read the original post again. He's talking about a '50s Road Worn P-Bass (modeled after a late '50s P) which has the "normal" split coil P Pickup. These did not have '51 style single coil pickups.

Any bridge width J pickup will work. A few years back, I had a parts PJ-bass where I threw a $20 Artec AlNiCo Jazz bridge PU into it and it sounded great. Jazz bridge pickups generally measure between 7-8 kOhm resistance, so anything in that ballpark should work just fine. Adjust the pickup height to achieve the balance you desire. Don't overthink it.

kev451, 96tbird and GMC like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Fralin makes great drop-in P replacements that are warm. You can get them in a split J if you want something closer to a P bite.

kev451 likes this.
  8. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Try to find a used Fender Noiseless J bridge on Reverb or ebay. They’re the way to go! Or the Seymour Duncan stuff, just not the Hot Stack. Those are lifeless IMO.

kev451 likes this.
  9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Drop in the P pickup and just disconnect the J entirely ;)

10. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Lol what ?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021