1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'51s: pls educate on identifying OPB51s vs. later version

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob S, Jan 26, 2013.

1. I would really appreciate getting educated on this topic, and I thank anyone who replies in advance.

How does one know when they are looking at the OPB51 '51 reissue bass versus the less expensive version?

One specific question I have is: is the OPB51 (the more expensive version) actually marked somewhere as an OPB51? Is there any identifying markings/codes etc. that distinguishes one version from another?

I know, more generally, that the colors are different and that the tuning pegs are different. The problem is, I have never seen either bass, much less the two together to contrast and compare.

Thanks guys and gals.

Best,
    Rob S

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Are you referring to Fender CIJ vs MIJ '51 P-bass RIs? More specifics, maker, year, etc., please?

3. Yeah I'm not sure what he means either. They sold a CIJ version for years, discontinued it about a year ago. Right the only single coil option they offer (besides a Custom Shop) is the Squier.

4. Thanks Jim. The problem is I don't even know. I started collecting Precisions this past August and I'm still learning. I have bought 40 or so in 6 months. I am shifting my attention to pre-'57 basses.

So, I am after everything in the genre starting from original period instruments and the reissues. I can't find any comprehensive overview of the '51 reissues. I see them priced $400-$1700. There are different models/versions etc. but I can't find a good educational jumping-off point.

Rob

5. I am not interested in Squires, just Fenders. I know about the MIJ/CIJ distinction, but how the '51 RIs are distributed under those periods I don't know about yet.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021