Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'57 Precision Reissue Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jun 16, 2005.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Alright, I've finally decided that after I sell some gear I'm going to look into possibly getting a Fender Precision. I am looking at the reissue series because I really like the ashtray covers and I've heard great things about the MIA reissues. I am currently thinking about getting a '57 Reissue in the vintage white finish and changing out the pickguard to a flat black one. Does anyone know if a standard precision pickguard will fit on the bass? I know that a standard p-bass guard won't have all the holes drilled for the thumbrest and pup covers, but I can drill those myself, I'm just curious if all the rest of the holes on the guard will line up. Anyone have any thoughts or experience??

Thanks!
    Justin

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    The only guard that matches the holes on the '57 P-Bass is the stock gold anodized one that comes with it. They have 10 holes vs. the 13 holes on the other pickguards.

I was thinking about (but never did it) changing the PG on my '57 RI to a black one. I would have sent in the original to Jeannie's or Chandler or whoever to have them make one with the same hole pattern.