1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

59 bassman speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EDDIEDES, Jul 18, 2012.

1. EDDIEDES

EDDIEDES

Apr 12, 2012
    Aiea, Hawaii
    I just got a 59 bassman reissue. I know that the stock jensen speakers aren't the best for actually playing a bass through ( go figure ). Any recommendations on replacements? I would like a bigger bass sound. This will be used primarily as a practice amp at home, not too much volume needed. thanks for your input

2. not to be a smart ass, but have you tried it "as is" with your bass first? If it's just a practice amp at bedroom volumes it should be OK?

3. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    I had one of these albeit before I played bass. It should be fine for practicing. The speakers are not the best for bass. But that amp is one of the cleanest most crushingly loud amps I've ever heard. Wish I still had it. If you hear the speakers breaking up back off. It should still be able to piss the neighbors off before that happens.

4. +1, it's a great guitar amp, no question :cool:

Problem is that it's open backed and 2 ohms, otherwise I'd say just get a small bass cab and plug it in place of the 4-10s, but I don't know of any 2 ohm bass cabs :meh: Unless of course you want to parallel two 4 ohm cabs, kinda overkill for practicing, however, that would work......

That said, Joe Osborn and Carol Kaye used Fender Concert amps (the 60s version of the 59 Bassman) for recording all the time back in the day.

5. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    I had a chance to buy a brown face concert about the time I got the 59 Ri. Shoulda done it, but it seemed like a lot of money, back then. I think they wanted a grand 10 to twelve years ago. Probably worth double now. Any way, the 59 bassman circuit is classic. It is what Jim Marshall based the plexi circuits off of.

6. EDDIEDES

EDDIEDES

Apr 12, 2012
    Aiea, Hawaii
    thanks for such quick response. The tone on that is incredible! what I want is a little better bottom without the buzzing, etc. everything else is great, in fact if it's too costly I'll have no problem living with it just how it is.

7. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    Now that I think about it. The covers on the speaker magnets are removed for clearance of the tubes or transformers. I don't remember which. You might not be able to get different speakers in there without modifications.

8. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    Hell if you leave it alone, your guitar and harp buddies will lov

9. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    Damn phone. Any way you guitar and harp playing buddies will love it for impromptu jams. That's what I always played through it.

10. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    Oh yeah, and some of the buzzing and rattling is a function of the cabinet itself. Speakers won't fix that. Make sure everything is tight too. All the chassis and speaker screws and such.

11. EDDIEDES

EDDIEDES

Apr 12, 2012
    Aiea, Hawaii
    looks like the consensus is keep it stock, seems like a good idea to me. on another note, I thought that with this music hobby thing I would keep things mostly stock. Nope! This is worse than dirt bikes, we can't leave anything alone

12. +1

If you need more then go for a small bass rig, lots of good choices, enjoy the Bassman for what it is :cool: