1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5th Gear Drummers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by gustobassman, Jul 1, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    So the drummer we have had for the last year or so is good. Real Good. But, he only has one energy level. FULL ON. It has been brought to our attention by a couple of soundguys that he REALLY needs to bring it down a notch to make it easier on FOH and our stage volume. So besides giving him Xanax before every show i'm looking for creative ways to get him to play a little softer but with the same intensity. I KNOW i'm not the only one who has this issue!

These were my first ideas, please, feel free to add to the list...

1. Foam Rubber drumsticks.
    2. A marionette-like control system from an overhead rack.
    3. A muscle atriphication pill slipped into his pre-show energy drink.
    4. Make him watch the tear-jerking Sarah Mclachlan ASPCA ads before the gig.

Who's got another suggestion? :D

2. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Tie a his junk to his hands and see if he doesn't play softer. ;)

Seriously though, telling him to keep it under control is the first step. Remind him to remember. Little cues or a pleasant look on stage to let him know, "Dude, too much. Back it off a bit, please." Have him practice softer. Or.... string up his junk.

Cheers.

3. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    :eek:

Why didn't i think of this first? :p

4. Unless he likes it, then it might make him play louder. Remember, this is drummer you're talking about here.

5. It might be a different sound but brushes are softer to play with

6. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    TRUE but remember i'm looking for creative solutions. ;)

7. You could surround him in a wall o pillows, then he can play as loud as he wants

8. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    That's more like it!!

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Approach rehearsals like a study in psychology. Every time he makes a soft sound or something you like, praise the daylights out of him. Candy works well too. Rinse and repeat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hot Rods.

RODS.

11. Give him ear plugs.

I've dealt with some drummers that were just so used to playing as loud as possible to compete with wanking gui****s cranked to 11 that they must have had hearing damage or start losing their hearing and just playing louder and louder to compensate.

Although it would seem counter productive to take away some of their hearing at the start of practice or a show, it would seem they didn't have a volume shift inside of their head and played at a consistent level the whole practice/gig.

12. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    WHOAH! That's what we gave our drummer!!!

13. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    And we cut the middle tape so they're even softer.. yeah the break quicker but it was effective.

14. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    that´s it

we´re gonna have a bar gig coming, and my screaming loud cymbals + snare are naturally way too loud ... even medium-volume cymbals would be
    so i´m currently changing my setup -> 10" snare, very quiet cymbals ... and rods.

insane difference

15. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah, you're right. Didn't think about it. Good lookin out. :)

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Velocity sensitive MIDI acoustic drum trigger + Shock collar for dogs.

Just get it wired correctly and set it for the appropriate threshold. He hits too hard, jolt to the neck.

17. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Maybe start by taking away his pre-show energy drink :p

18. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    IME, those will either break or have rods come out depending on make.

I like. It would be even easier to do that with gui****s since you're already dealing with a voltage.

19. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    The rods may not last long (should last a night but I'd have an extra set on hand) but they are effective.

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I wouldn't use the words "Real Good" to describe a drummer who can't play with any dynamics.