1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6.5" speaker? Vox ac4tv mini

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by belafonte, Jul 19, 2012.

1. belafonte

belafonte

Jan 14, 2010
    I've got a Vox AC4TV mini guitar amp. It's a 4 watt guitar tube amp with a 6.5 inch speaker...

When I play guitar through it I always plug it into an extension cabinet and bypass the tiny internal speaker. I bought it because it's the size of a head and has a speaker just incase I want it...

Anyway I rarely play guitar through the internal speaker but would like to see if it could do double duty as a bass practice amp... the stock speaker farts out pretty quick though... Any ideas for a speaker that might work with this and a bass?? car audio maybe??

Thanks.

2. belafonte

belafonte

Jan 14, 2010
    Output is 16 ohms..

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There is no "drop in" bass spkr that will work. I would suggest NOT using a guitar combo amp for bass in any case.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    There aren't any particularly good bass speakers that would match a 4 watt amp... You trade off sensitivity for low frequency response, both of which you'd need to make good use of that particular amp, even as a bass practice amp.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Dig through some hifi drivers, but you'll still likely have to seal the box, or put a port in a screw-on rear cover. There's a few out there that would run something like 50-60hz to 4khz or higher around 88-91 db. With onoy 4 watts, maybe 8 if you overdrive the hell out of it, they'll handle it fine. Won't play too loud bit run deep enough for a good bass sound.

Don't really know if it's worth it to you. If the tubes hang down into the cab portion, you need to leave it openback for cooling, or build a separate cabinet for the speaker(s).

Can dig around www.mcmelectronics.com for some low cost drivers that might work.

I'd be inclined to leave the speaker in the combo and make a separate 2x6, 16ohm cab for bass and fashion a jack to disconnect the guitar speaker and plug in the bass cab.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Hah.....there is a datasheet, and it's response looks pretty smooth for such an inexpensive driver. EBP makes it an "in betweener", meaning it'll work acceptably ported or sealed. You're not going to damage it with 4 watts, even considering transient spikes.

FWIW, I play my Valve Jr. through it's internal, openback guitar speaker without blowing anything, just gets dirty. Stays cleaner and sounds nice plugged into a bass cab. It has a cable/plug connecting the internal speaker to the speaker jacks on the amp so you can just unplug it and plug in a different cab. Does your Vox made that way? May have to rig up a jack or something if not....not a complicated thing to do.