1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6/9 Sextatonic Scales - Quarantine Shedding

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BarfanyShart, Mar 24, 2020.

1. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    So, I got a groovy, sexy, new exercise for you all. Take the fourth tone out of all your modes and shed that six note scale with all your standard standard scale/arpeggio practice patterns. Enter the "6/9 Sextatonic Scales"! (trademark pending)

2. Interesting... Sounds worth a look

3. dcgbass

dcgbass Guest

Jul 8, 2018
    What you are doing is a major triad on the root so in the Key of C you have 1, 3, 5 or C E G
    The if you start on the 7 you have a B7 minus the 5
    1, 3, 7 or B D A

4. Like triad pairs. In a way... I guess in this case you alternate between a C maj triad and B minor.

5. dcgbass

dcgbass Guest

Jul 8, 2018
    Yes because you are using the B(7), D(2) and A(6)
    So the B is technically the 1 of the chord, the D is the b3 of the chord and the A is the b7 and voila... B-7. In this case the 5 becomes irrelevant because it does not define the chord at all.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Spin Doctor likes this.
  6. stringtapper

stringtapper

Jun 24, 2009
    Denton, TX
    *Hexatonic

Les Fret, BarfanyShart and dcgbass like this.
  7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Why the fourth tone? And what is the goal behind it? And why 6/9? Seems a bit random. Just curious.

OptimalOptimus likes this.
  8. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    The subdominant is a lame note for bass licks, I think. In the same way that you avoid the root of the next chord when walking in Jazz, in pop\rock music it seems that the hippest licks avoid the fourth degree of the chord unless and until the root changes to the tone. I was just watching YouTube videos of "best bass lines ever!" and such, and I noticed it was a common feature of a lot of these lines.

So, the point is to play with the intervals of the mode while avoiding the fourth degree, because that will get you closer to a cool line faster, theoretically.

The name is just silliness.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  9. As mentioned, you typically want to avoid the 4th when playing over major chords. And actually, if you are playing a chord that resolved, like in a 2-5-1, the Tonic 6/9 chord provides the strongest resolution. So even though I haven't checked out this particular exercise, to me it has a lot of potential.

BarfanyShart likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021