6 string approaches and instruction

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by BeowulfKingsley, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Todd, I'm slowly working my way (slowly is the operative word) into an understanding of the 6 string bass and its various possibilities. But it would be great to have the insights of a long-time player such as yourself! Does your new Improvisation Module Method address the challenges of this instrument? And what other material can you suggest? I mean, outside of playing it all the time...

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    The short answer is YES!! I demo everything on my 6 string although its perfectly and EASILY adaptable to the 4 and 5 string!!

By the time you play and digest the material in the video you will know the 6 string INFINITELY better!! But if you're going to play the 6 string...COMMIT to it...its a beast and unforgiving unless you play it all the time...Playing ANYTHING ALL THE TIME is what it takes to achieve what you're desiring. Make sense???

I hope this helps!!! :cool: :)

3. Thanks!! Yeah, I'll certainly be getting that DVD (Download? Video? I don't know what to call them anymore), and I'll be happy to be working through that material on the 6-string. I'm definitely committing to the instrument, although I'm still not brave enough to take it out on every gig yet...I've got a way to go before I'm ready for doing that! But the majority of my practice time is on it already, and it's showing up at more and more shows. This will help a lot though!! And as an approach to improvisation this sounds like a great method.

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Good for you....sounds like you're on the right track.

Let me know how I can help....I'm here if you need me.

5. Memorize these patterns and you'll be able to navigate scales across and up and down the fretboard with ease. These are Ionian (Major scale) mode patterns (that is, the interval labeling). Get to know them for other modes as well.

scales-major-ionian-pattern1.png scales-major-ionian-pattern2.png scales-major-ionian-pattern3.png

scales-major-ionian-pattern4.png scales-major-ionian-pattern5.png scales-major-ionian-pattern6.png scales-major-ionian-pattern7.png

6. Sorry to step in on your thread, Todd. I didn't realize this was in your forum. I just saw the "6 string" part and wanted to share some of the info I had that helped me out when I was starting on my first 6-string bass.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

You'd be surprised how quickly you can take it on gigs. I had my 6 for a week or so and played a musical (Footloose) with it. 2 rehearsals and 4 shows. I made out OK.

8. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    No worries Dave!!! :) All the best you my friend!!

9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    When I first started on 6 I still played my 5. What I'd do is practice for 55 minutes on the 5 then 5 on the 6. The next day I'd practice 50 on the 5 then 10 on the 6. I'd keep doing that until I was doing my full practice regimen on the 6.

C/S,
    Rev J

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How I got used to a 6 string bass was to ignore the outer two strings and treat it like a 4 string. I just had to get used to the wider neck. Then I added the other two strings in sparingly.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021