1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string bass for modification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J-Building, Apr 9, 2010.

1. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm looking to get a 6 string, but I'm not satisfied with the gecko body design, nor do I have the money to get one custom made. So, what my plan to do is to get a 6 string that feels nice and completely overhaul it with a supercharged preamp and very hot pickups. Does anyone know of any basses they like (excluding the Ibanez soundgear line, I've already got one) that are very budget-friendly? I'm looking to spend about $800 or lower.

2. Ibanez SR506? That's the 6 string I have my eye on. I see lots of people playing it, few complaints, and it has good reviews. You could gut that one if you wanted. On M/F a new one runs $630 USD.

3. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    Sorry, I mentioned in my post that I didn't want to modify a Soundgear, mostly because I don't like the body shape.

4. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    schecter stiletto studio 6, its somewhere around 700$ and is an excelent bass, it sounds better than many expensive basses.

5. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
  6. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I'll look into the Studio, but that's a kind of funky shape. I hope it's very ergonomic. As for Rondo, yes, I did consider that, but they remind me of my Soundgear, which is what I'm trying to stray away from right now.

7. Oh, sorry. I was in class and read the first line and a half before I decided to respond. Tryin' to do too many things at once.

8. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol, if a rondo reminds you of an SR, then every bass will haha

9. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I was thinking more of the Brice Z6 models. I'm a little apprehensive with the bolt-ons, and the Defiants are...I don't quite know. They just don't feel right.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. If you go for a 24 fret 6 string (which is the only thing that makes sense to me since you are going for that extended range) Then you'll find that neck-throughs give much better access to the high frets. Its about the thickness of the bolt-on joint or something, I don't know. I just noticed it.

And I'd look around at used stuff. Since you only want it for raw materials for a project, sometimes you can find some truly decent basses for a song because they have this or that problem and nobody will buy them as a working bass.

11. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I don't really mind the upper fret access as much as I do the perceived build quality. You're definitely going to have a decently-built bass when you go neck-thru, even if its a cheapo.

I really should think about going used. But most of the sixer's for sale on talkbass are all high-end basses that I would never dream of modifying under the threat of painful and slow removal of my leg hairs.:eek:

12. MTD kindston Z6 maybe? a little more money than what's been mentioned, but people are always modding them.

13. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    there's a brice custom-made z6 that's 34" AND 19mm that's in the basses for sale area- scrolll back a few pages... this is a cool inexpensive instrument with rare specs at a great price. i have to wait until our meth lab profits kick in after the initial outlay, otherwise i'd a' bought it 2-3 weeks ago. that might be your answer, perhaps...

14. how bold, be aware that the internet isn't as secure as you might think. people get charged for random comments made on the internet sometimes... just saying.

15. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    Eh, 19mm spacing on a 6 string bass really adds up. It could end up being wider than my hand (and I've got fairly big hands). I've seen the bass too, and I dig everything but the 19mm spacing.

I wouldn't venture as far as to say that you would get arrested, but there is truth behind his words.

16. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    meth lab is our theater space!! "methodology laboratories"! not the drug.
    i shoulda made it clear(er).
    but thanks to both of you for genuine concern. appreciated.

17. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    How about peavey grind?

Great inexpensive bass that just begs for some fat stacks and a quality pre..

18. Hohner B Bass VI.

[​IMG]

19. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009

Hadn't thought about that one. That is going up on my list of consideration.

20. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    Hmmm, something just doesn't cut it for me. Not quite sure what, but I've just never really liked the looks I guess. I know that's usually not enough to justify not buying something, but when you're buying something solely to upgrade it, I think it is.